cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

UEM Visit is Tagged even when No BT Evaluation is Configured

waikeat_chan
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

I run into some problem when I first configure Visit Tagging, so I decided to test it out in easyTravel first before I make any changes in my client's environment. And I did find someting interesting in easyTravel

After suspecting the visit tagging is not working as I expected/understand, here is what I did:

As shown in picture attached, I configure the section of Visit Tagging to be empty on all 3 applications of easyTravel system profile. Yet, expecting the visit to be not tagged, I still can see the visit is tagged with user name (The fourth screenshot in the lower right corner of the picture)

So...what am I really missing here?

11 REPLIES 11

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Wai,

I double checked on the easyTravel application that visit tagging is available on both applications (Default Application and easyTravel portal).

Regards,

Babar

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Wai,

Might be you are looking old data before deletion of visit tagging from the applications.

Can you do another activity now and change the time frame last 30 minutes or less?

Regards,

Babar

GabrielPrioli
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Since the visit is coming from mobile app (Android 4.0) it may be tagged by the ADK, which would not be configured in the System Profile.

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Wai,

I will also second @Gabriel P. because this option was overlooked. As we know that easyTravel is a demo application so all the technologies and features are covered.

Regards,

Babar

waikeat_chan
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hi all,

I run easyTravel and make sure again that visit tagging is not configured for all applications, wait for around half an hour, then open the Web Dashboard.

I filter it to be showing non-Mobile application, still, visit is tagged.

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

My understanding for some time has been that there is some "magic" coded into Dynatrace to tag a percentage of visits with a user name even if the UEM settings are not present for visit tagging. I believe this is to make demos show better data with less configuration required. However, it can be frustrating when you are actually testing visit tagging. I would love to learn more about how this tagging magic is done.

Thanks,

dave

This is my understanding as well (about the "magic"). It does make it hard to use eT as a feature-test tool sometimes.

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

FYI - easyTravel uses the Dynatrace JavaScript ADK and captures the User ID in the browser. This is why "this magic" happens. It is actually not that magical - it is just capturing the user tag using dynaTrace.tagVisit() api call

Hi Andi,

Thanks for solving the mystery, even if it did destroy the "magic". 🙂

So, it looks like this is not controlled by the Problem Patterns in the EasyTravel UI, or the properties files, but that we could probably modify these files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\dynaTrace\easyTravel_2448_v65\customer\webapp\WEB-INF\includes\content\orange-login.xhtml

C:\Program Files (x86)\dynaTrace\easyTravel_2448_v65\customer\webapp\WEB-INF\includes\content\newaccount-result.xhtml

This should get EasyTravel to stop tagging visits (I have not tried yet, but will unless someone has a better way).

I wonder if we should move this logic out of the xhtml files and control it via UEM Metadata settings in the System Profile. This way, if you want to do a demo you can leave it on, and if you are using EasyTravel for training or other purposes, you can easily turn it off from the client. Also, this would make it much less magical and easy to see what is happening (and how cool the Metadata feature is).

Of course, there are backward compatibility issues to consider, but since the versions of DT and ET are sort of joined at the hip, this should not be too much of an issue.

Thanks!

dave

I will forward this suggestion to the Team that manages and maintains easyTravel

Thanks Andi, I greatly appreciate it!

dave