Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UEM Zone metrics in User Action PurePath view

andreas_knorre
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

I
discovered some Zone metrics in the details view of a User Action PurePath in an
Angular 4 SPA application. Can someone please explain these metrics in the “User
timings Details” section (see screenshot below)?

I am not
aware of using zone.js. Maybe it is used within Angular 4? Or has "Zone" another
meaning/origin in this context?

My
environment:

• AppMon version 7.0.9
  • UEM with activated Angular and
    BasicXHR support
  • Automatic UEM injection, no usage of
    any ADK call
  • Angular 4.4.3

Thanks a
lot,

Andreas

3 REPLIES 3

dominik_punz
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

The JS code automatically captures W3C user timings (https://www.w3.org/TR/user-timing/). Your code seems to set these timings somewhere.

The timings will show up in the details and you can also subscribe a measure or use it as the key performance metric for one of your action groups.

andreas_knorre
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi Dominik,

thanks a lot for your answer!

I did not code any custom measurements within my simple demo app. It was just created with angular-cli.

So, it seems that Angular 4.4.3 produces these timings out of the box. This might be quite helpful for Angular experts.

Best Regards,
Andreas

JGannon
Guide

You are correct these appear to be out of the box in Angular. Apparently these can be used by any page that includes zones.js.

You can find the code in zone.js file - beginning with line 21 in Angular e.g.

var Zone$1 = (function (global) {
var performance = global['performance'];
function mark(name) {
performance && performance['mark'] && performance['mark'](name);
}
function performanceMeasure(name, label) {
performance && performance['measure'] && performance['measure'](name, label);
}
mark('Zone');

These marks output the following:

Zone Zone Aware Promise Zone: to string Zone: timers Zone: Blocking Zone: Event Target Zone: on property Zone: custom elements Zone: Canvas Zone: XHR Zone: Location Zone: Promise Rejection Event

See more info here:

https://github.com/angular/zone.js/

It would be great to find out more about how they can be used to understand performance,