cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

UEM data not available after dynatraceMonitor path change

gopikrishnanr
Organizer

Hi,

I have a scenario where I have an application where the app agent is installed and UEM is available (say A). I want to send the dynaTraceMonitor request to another application where web server agent is installed and UEM is available (say B). So now my dtagent.js is loaded from A but my dynaTraceMonitor is posted to B and they are both reporting to the same collector and server. So ideally this should get correlated and consolidated and displayed as single visit since correlation is done at dtserver. But this is not happening. Can someone explain why am unable to see any visits?

Regards,

Gopikrishnan

10 REPLIES 10

dennis_mispelba
Inactive

Hi Gopikrishnan,

I tried to understand what you are trying to do, but help me understand you. What do you mean by "I want to send the dynaTraceMonitor request to another application" and "...but my dynaTraceMonitor is posted to B...". It seems to me that there might be some misunderstanding...

If you have an agent on e.g. webserver or application A, then the webserver of A will offer an dynaTraceMonitor service to which the agent will forward its UEM data.

If you have an agent on e.g. webserver or application B, then the
webserver of B will offer an dynaTraceMonitor service to which the agent
will forward its UEM data.

The dynaTraceMonitor service cannot be posted or send to somewhere, it is listening for the agents UEM data. Can you shed some light what you are trying to do?

Best regards
Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Just to rectify: you can configure the dynaTraceMonitor signal to be send somewhere else (it is in the UEM settings). However you have to make sure you are sending it to an instrumented web server (or java tier) which is also part of the same system profile. More info about CORS can be found in the documentation: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Hope this helps.

KR,
Kristof

Hi Kristof,

thanks for the correction, however, the dynaTraceMonitor service is not literally sent somewhere, correct? It is just that a JavaScript Agent can of course send its data to another dynaTraceMonitor path (not hosted by the same webserver "it came from"), but the dynaTraceMonitor path itself, cannot be "sent". This is just what confused me. I guess in your saying with "the dynaTraceMonitor signal to be send somewhere else" you actually meant the agent data, didn't you?

Best regards

Dennis

It is our agent that handles any request to dynaTraceMonitor that arrives on an instrumented web server. Not sure what you mean with sending the service.

rob_vollum
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Gopikrishnan,

As Kristof R. mentioned, it is indeed possible to for the dtagent to send its beacon signal (the POST to dynaTraceMonitor) to a different server (server B in your scenario). This requires the CORS option that Kristof referred to, to be configured. So at a high level what you've described is a normal and supported configuration. That means you are into the troubleshooting stage. Some thoughts:

• You're sure the agent is being injected into the page?
  • If you have the beacon return to its origin (server A for you), do you see UEM data?
  • If you look at an instrumented page in a browser using "developer tools" (for example ctrl-shift-i in Chrome), do you see the post happening?

• Is the web server agent on server B mapping to the same system profile as the agent on server A?

Rob

Hi Rob,

Well the agent is injected to the page when I run the UEM with default settings and am able to see UEM data if beacon is returned to the origin server (server A). Even under developer tools I can see the post request happening with a 200 status code.

Now my requirement was to send the beacon to server B, so as per @Kristof R. comment I used the CORS setting and its working well. Thanks for that suggestion 🙂

But as per my knowledge this UEM user action data is correlated to a visit based on dtcookie parameter. So why is it that my scenario (loading dtagent from server A and posting dynaTraceMonitor to server B) doesn't work without CORS setting. When CORS option is not set I can see in developer tools that my dtagent being loaded from origin server (server A) and my dynaTraceMonitor post happening to server B. Then why is it that am unable to see any visits?

Regards,

Gopikrishnan

Enabling the CORS features ensures that the proper headers/handshake are provided to allow the of data to go to somewhere other than where it originated from.

gopikrishnanr
Organizer

Can you please share what all headers are used in this process???

Someone else will have to reply here. I don't have that information

Rob

It might be more efficient to open a ticket with our support team to figure out what is wrong with your installation. as of CORS Support. Here is the doc page that explains how CORS works with Dynatrace: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT65/JavaScript+Agent