cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

UEM question - js agent version vs. version of injecting agent

TorstenHellwig
Organizer

Hi all,

I've just migrated another AppMon 6.5 to 7.0.10 and wondered why I don't see visually complete metrics although configured.

Now I found that the not-yet-updated java agents that do the UEM injection still inject a 6.5 JS agent. I couldn't find any mentioning of this behaviour in the docs. Is this normal or should the java agent 6.5 just inject whatever the 7.0 server tells him to? Collector is updated as well.

How about webserver agents - would they also restrict the JS agent version to whatever version they are?

cheers,

Torsten

7 REPLIES 7

TorstenHellwig
Organizer

Ok, at least with Java I can confirm that a 7.0 agent injects a 7.0 js agent. I guess works as designed.. Might be a useful addition to the documentation.

cheers,

Torsten

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Torsten,

I remember someone already asked about the missing metric 'Visually Complete' in the user actions but I am not sure whether he/she did the migrate or not, therefore, this discussion can also address the same for others.

Do you have an auto or manual injection?

Is the latest JavaScript version selected in the User Experience?

Regards,

Babar

TorstenHellwig
Organizer

We had automatic injection and 'Latest' version first - then I switched to explicitly use version 7.0, no difference.

If this is standard behaviour I really would like it being mentioned somewhere. A lot of my customers update the agents quite delayed, whenever the application teams have time to restart. So you never know which UEM features or settings actually work right now and where.

regards,

Torsten

Hello Torsten,

It means the new offered UEM features (Visually Complete + Speed Index) will not work with the old agents version, therefore, it will be mandatory to restart the agents to get updated ASAP.

Regards,

Babar

thomasK
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi all,

for compatibility reasons the default behavior is that the delivered JS-Agent matches the webserver agent version delivering it, regardless of collector or server version.

The hint in the client for the agent injection mentions this:

"Note that if a more recent JavaScript agent version than the one from connected webserver or java agents is selected, those agents will only receive a JavaScript agent with their version or below."

We try to communicate this in the upgrade guide:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/insta...

"For a specific feature to work, the support of all involved components (Agents, Collectors, Server, Client) is required."

So this means older version agents, when using newer version features for example here.

Regards, Thomas

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for this clarification.

Regards,

Babar

TorstenHellwig
Organizer

Oh, I missed that line in the client itself, dang!