cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to include/edit/modify the Email alert notification Body

Hi Team,

Configured the email notification in DT, Based on the threshold, we received the email alert.

However email alert is not informative. We need to include the below parameters in the email body.

1.Server & Component Name

2.Alert Description with threshold

3.Start and End Time

4.Alert status

5.Alert Severity

Uploaded the below plugin from dynatrace, but didn't noticed any changes. We need help to fix the issue

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DL/Extended+EMail+Action+Plugin

Thanks,

Subbu

19 REPLIES 19

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Just adding that plugin alone won't make much of a difference. You can use the subject, body, etc... fields to customize what your email looks like. Attached is a list of all of the variables that you can use in any of the fields with the format:

${VARIABLE}

e.g: ${AGENT_HOST}

list-of-maintained-by-action-plugins-predefined-va.pdf

You'll probably want to experiement with those values to see what works for you.

James

Thanks James,

Uploaded the email body with variables, but not working.If there are any working variables please providescreen-shot-2017-09-27-at-100232-pm.pngscreen-shot-2017-09-27-at-100242-pm.png

Please find the attached screenshot and help

First I see several of the variables don't have the dollar sign, second that email looks like the standard email action, not the extended email action. Can you paste your actions configuration? Like the following:

Hi James,

Updated the variables as well, but didnt received any alerts.

Please find the config screenshots,Notification rules and alert screen-shot-2017-09-27-at-105231-pm.png

Thanks,

Subbuscreen-shot-2017-09-27-at-103944-pm.pngscreen-shot-2017-09-27-at-104408-pm.pngscreen-shot-2017-09-27-at-104531-pm.pngscreen-shot-2017-09-27-at-105143-pm.png

You have the 'smart alerting' checkbox enabled which means that no new alerts/actions will be executed for that incident until they are confirmed in the incidents dashlet. If you uncheck that and a new incident is generated it should try and send the email.

Un-Checked the smart alerting, deleted the incident and new incident is created,however didn't received any email alert. Is there any where to check the logs

Attached the screenshot.screen-shot-2017-09-28-at-10903-am.pngscreen-shot-2017-09-28-at-10916-am.pngscreen-shot-2017-09-28-at-11022-am.png

Yes, on the server you should see logs specifically for the extended email action plugin that should provide some additional information on what is failing (assuming it is trying to execute).

You can access these either by logging into the server and browsing to the dt install directory or using the system information dashlet: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/application-monitoring/appmon-client/dashlets/system-information-dashlet/

I checked the logs and noticed below error.

2017-09-27 12:58:00 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setConfiguration method: The following e-mail address is incorrect 'group[Incident Email Group]': Local address contains illegal character
2017-09-27 12:58:00 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setup method: setConfiguration method returned message 'The following e-mail address is incorrect 'group[Incident Email Group]': Local address contains illegal character'
2017-09-27 12:58:20 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] Previous message was repeated 1 times.
2017-09-27 12:58:20 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] parseEmails method: The following e-mail address is incorrect 'group[Incident Email Group]': Local address contains illegal character
2017-09-27 12:58:20 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setConfiguration method: The following e-mail address is incorrect 'group[Incident Email Group]': Local address contains illegal character
2017-09-27 12:58:20 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] setup method: setConfiguration method returned message 'The following e-mail address is incorrect 'group[Incident Email Group]': Local address contains illegal character'

Email group is working fine as expected.Sent TEST email as well. But unable to receive alerts from Dynatrace.

Thanks,

Subbu

My mistake for noticing that earlier - with the extended email plugin dynatrace groups are not recognized by that format or any format really. You'll only be able to use standard email address like what you have in the 'to' field. If you remove the two Incident Group ones I imagine it would work.

The groups like that only work in the built in/official email action.

James,

I made the change and deleted the incident, it appears in Incident widget, but unable to receive emails.

Thanks,

Subbu

Anything new in the logs?

Hi James,

No issues with SMTP Address, as because i received alerts from the same SMTP ID and received TEST mail as well.

Here is the log

2017-09-27 13:25:33 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] sendMailAction method: Invalid Addresses
2017-09-27 13:25:33 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] processIncident method: Invalid Addresses
2017-09-27 13:25:33 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] sendMail method: Invalid Addresses
2017-09-27 13:25:33 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] processEmails method: Invalid Addresses
2017-09-27 13:25:33 SEVERE [MailExecutor@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] execute method: processEmails method returned message 'Invalid Addresses'
2017-09-27 13:25:33 WARNING [UserPluginManager@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] Previous message was repeated 2 times.
2017-09-27 13:25:33 WARNING [UserPluginManager@com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.action] javax.mail.SendFailedException - Invalid Addresses
javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;
nested exception is:
com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 550 5.1.1 <IT-DT-LT@vmware.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.rcptTo(SMTPTransport.java:1862)
at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.sendMessage(SMTPTransport.java:1118)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.MailExecutor.sendMessage(MailExecutor.java:1538)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.MailExecutor.sendMailAction(MailExecutor.java:1500)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.MailExecutor.processIncident(MailExecutor.java:1438)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.MailExecutor.sendMail(MailExecutor.java:712)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.MailExecutor.processEmails(MailExecutor.java:680)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.MailExecutor.execute(MailExecutor.java:503)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.plugins.extendedmailreport.ExtendedMailAction.execute(ExtendedMailAction.java:77)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.sdk.UserPluginManager.a(SourceFile:770)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.sdk.UserPluginManager.b(SourceFile:480)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.sdk.UserPluginManager.a(SourceFile:337)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.sdk.UserPluginManager.a(SourceFile:319)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.sdk.UserPluginManager.executePlugin(SourceFile:270)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.sdk.ActionPluginExecutor.execute(SourceFile:31)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.sdk.ActionPluginExecutor.execute(SourceFile:13)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.schedule.ServerJobCenterRegistry.a(SourceFile:190)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.schedule.ServerJobCenterRegistry.a(SourceFile:413)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.schedule.ServerJobCenterRegistry.execute(SourceFile:337)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.schedule.SchedulerJob.a(SourceFile:101)
at com.dynatrace.diagnostics.schedule.SchedulerJob.work(SourceFile:92)
at com.dynatrace.diagnosti...
Thanks,

Subbu

The "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table" definitely seems to be the root of the issue but this is probably outside of where I can add anything.

A search for issue comes up with many results:

https://serverfault.com/questions/179419/postfix-recipient-address-rejected-user-unknown-in-local-recipient-table

http://www.postfix.org/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README.html

Hi James,

Restarted the collector and able to receive the email. But i didn't get the required fields, Below is the arguments which was updated

${AGENT_HOST}
${AGENT_NAME}
${AGENT_GROUP_NAME}
${COLLECTOR_NAME}
${SERVER_NAME}
${START_TIME}
${END_TIME}
${DURATION}
${SEVERITY}
${VIOLATED_MEASURE_METRIC_UNIT}
${VIOLATED_MEASURE_METRIC_NAME}

Do i need to edit the body, if yes please provide the details.screen-shot-2017-09-28-at-63125-pm.png

Hi James,

I received the email alert as below. Please provide help us how to get the message with the fields which i am intrested.

-
-
<all-agents>
-
-
Thu Sep 28 05:58:50 PDT 2017
Thu Sep 28 06:01:40 PDT 2017
2min 50s
Severe
num
Thread Count

Any missing fields (indicated by the '-') are because that value isn't stored for that measure or incident. Sometimes it is the case that the measure being used isn't being calculated per agent in which case you can check the details tab for that measure. Apart from that it is just a matter of using the variables that have values to get the information you need.

Thanks James.

If i select based on the agent group does description comes with the agent namescreen-shot-2017-09-28-at-114949-pm.png

Hi James,

Please find the measure details, If i select based on the agent group does description comes with the agent name

Thanks,

Subbuscreen-shot-2017-09-28-at-114949-pm.png

No I don't believe so, in this case it would only be calculating the measure by aggregating by agent group not by individual agents. Create measure for each agent is necesary to get any individual agent level data reported.