cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

User Visits Orphaned due to VPN?

rogilvie
Participant

Hi,

I've got UEM enabled on a website as well as AppMon. When I visit the site locally I can fill in a username and password, click "Login" and the username is successfully extracted and tied to a User Visit. When I'm connecting via a VPN (Juniper Network Connect) and I repeat the steps a purepath is created and I can see the user tag in the HTTP request but no user visit is generated. From answers to other questions I'm guessing that this is due to the PP being "orphaned" in some way. Please could someone suggest a value/variable/component which could be being blocked or mitigated by the VPN which would prevent the individual purepaths from being associated with a visit? Any help much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Rupert

8 REPLIES 8

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Rupert,

I am not 100% sure but it seems to me like a X-Forward-For kind of issue.

Please have a look on the below link, if it works for you:

https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/149478/vie...

Regards,

Babar

Cody_Kachelski
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper

Hi Rupert,

When you connect via VPN, are you able to "view source" and verify that the JavaScript agent "dtagent" is present?

Also, can you use browser network tools to verify if the dtagent is being downloaded as you navigate through the App, and that the "Dynatrace Monitor" is not receiving a 300 or 400 error?

-Cody

Hi Cody, the Javascript agent is there and I've successfully downloaded it through the VPN. I've also run the UEM health check from the dynatrace client start menu which reports all is ok.

Hi Barbar, thanks I've validated that the UEM is active on the agent group and I can see an IP address so I believe the X-forwarding is working ok.

Cheers,

Rupert

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Rupert,

Similar to what Babar mentioned, did you make sure the dynatrace cookies are making it through also?

HTH,

dave

Hi Dave - Thanks but I'm not sure where to check for the cookies?

Hi Rupert,

In the Web Server/Servlet/ASP.NET Sensor Properties, you can specify the "Request Header" with the value of "cookie". Once you are capturing the header, you can click on the top node (usually) in the PurePath that has the appropriate API and select details to the see the Request Header with the name "cookie" and make sure it has some "dt" cookies in it.

HTH,

dave

Hello Rupert,

Please open the sensor properties of your Web Server/Servlet/ASP.NET to configure the 'Cookie' as @Dave M. suggested.

Regards,

Babar

rogilvie
Participant

Ah ha! There was a distinct lack of cookies being passed around 🙂

Thank you for the help fixing my problem and educating my diagnostic process!