cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User login Plug-In

yamini_dubey
Organizer

Is it possible to use this plugin to get details on user login info for multiple collectors which are not installed on the same box as the Dynatrace server, for which we want to query user login info for.?

8 REPLIES 8

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Users only log into the server, they don't actually ever truly log in to a collector as far as AppMon is concerned. This plugin is only reading from the Server.0.0.log file for AppMon user account logins so it doesn't see things like OS user logins to a collector box.

James

Then why does the current limitation of the plugin say so-This must run on a collector installed locally to the server you wish to query. Do let me know if I am misinterpreting something.

Thanks in advance @James K.

Regards.

This is saying that for the monitor configuration it must be set to run from a local collector on the same host as the server. I imagine this is because it was built to check on the local host for the Server.0.0.log file which has the login information and doesn't support remotely logging into the Dynatrace server to view that log which is what would need to be done if it was on a remote collector.

Monitors have to be run from a collector, and this one will only work if it is run from the local collector instance. I think by default there will be a local collector running.

James

I do have a collector locally on machine and I have installed the plugin on the client. What should be the next step.

Can the plug-in be setup without monitors.

Thanks in advance @James K.

Regards.

This is a monitor type plugin so that is required. Once you've installed the plugin to the sever (via the client) you go into any system profile and in the monitors tab set up a new monitor and select this plugin and fill in the configuration with your information. You'll also select a schedule (how often the monitor runs) and an execution location which is the collector that will run the monitor (this will need to be the local one as discussed above).

James

yamini_dubey
Organizer

Thanks @James K. this helps. Two questions:

1. So if there are agents from multiple collectors in one system profile, I will need to create multiple monitors in that case?

2. Also if the client is installed on my machine wheres as server and collector are installed on a separate box, how do I specify the server log path in that case?

Thanks again.

Regards.

1. Monitors are completely separate from agents - you can run monitors without having any agents connected so long as your server has a license. Additionally, this monitor is only checking a server log so you should only need one instance running per server you are checking logins on (I assume 1 in this case).
  2. When you configure a monitor you are actually configuring it on the collector/server it is running from (i.e the execution target you set in the monitor schedule tab) so set all configurations and paths accordingly. You are only doing it through the client but clients themselves are incapabale of running monitors it is only collectors that can do that.

yamini_dubey
Organizer

okay @James K. Thanks. I have created a monitor under one of the system profiles , by choosing one of the collectors installed locally on the server.

have scheduled it to run after 10 minutes. Will see what it returns.

Thanks and Regards.