cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VJDBC Instrumentation

igor_simoes1
Inactive

Hi,

I am on a customer that has an application that uses VJDBC. Researching about this, I found this an old opensource library for remote connection to a database. By their documentatoin this library is divided on a vjdbc client and vjdbc server. The server then receives requests from the client library and uses standard JDBC to access database.

My problem here is that I cannot see any database calls, I decided to create a sensor pack specific to this. I have access to a certitication environment, so I pretend to make a shotgun instrumentation and then remove unecessary parts.

Have you guys any tips to share about this? This is a very critical app and I don't want to over instrument it.

Regards,

Igor

2 REPLIES 2

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Igor, It was my understanding that VJDBC was buried inside a JDBC driver. Meaning that the application just used JDBC normally and the VJDBC portions were hidden from the application. If this is true, then I would expect the normal JDBC driver to pick up any JDBC calls from the application.

A few questions:

Are you trying to instrument the client or server? (or both?)

Do you see ANY purepaths from the cient/server in question? If you don't see any purepaths yet, then you'll need to define an entry point sensor rule and specify "Allow to Start Purepaths from this method" checkbox in the method sensor rule dialog.

let's start with those questions and then we can go forward from there.

igor_simoes1
Inactive

Joseph,

Thanks a lot for your reply!!!!

I can see the several PurePaths. What was buggin me was that the Pure Paths did not show any database calls and the PurePaths were very short with just 2 or 3 nodes.

I have manually instrumented some methods related to VJDBC and now I am able to get some longer PurePaths with 4 or 5 nodes.

Yesterday I had a long conversation with the developer to understand the architecture. We have a single server a single Java process. This customer is short for Java licenses, therefore only Server instrumentatoin is bein made. What I can see is that the biggest majority of the PP are called /vjdbc/vjdbc.

We then had another meeting with developers and were able to instrument other methods specific to the application, although most of application inteligence is in procedures on the database. We are waiting for a restart on this application as hot sensor is failing. I am very confident that we are going to be able to see much richer information.

I will let you know the outcome.

Regards,