cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is OneAgent for AppMon?

martin1
Inactive

How is OneAgent related to Classic Agent and AppMon Agent?

I am having troubles understanding where each one fits.

For example this page discussed the differences from Classic and AppMon agent. It leaves the impression that AppMon Agent and OneAgent should be used interchangeably.

Agent Platform

My thinking is that there are two versions of the AppMon agent - Classic and OneAgent.

With May 2017 and April 2018 releases you can choose which version of the agent you can run for each agent group. Each version of the agent has its limitations as outlined in the first link above.

However this page talks about OneAgent for AppMon:
OneAgent

Also the Agent Platform window has the AppMon and OneAgent lists.

This leaves the impression that AppMon Agent and OneAgent are two different things.

This is really confusing.
Can someone clarify?

11 REPLIES 11

rohith_samudral
Organizer

Hi @Martin K., AppMon agent and OneAgent are indeed two different agents. AppMon agent works with the AppMon product of Dynatrace and the OneAgent work with the new Gen3 APM tool that Dynatrace put out called Dynatrace.

AppMon agent and OneAgent have a lot of similarities but OneAgent has a lot more features than AppMon agent.

Dynatrace Product Info: https://www.dynatrace.com/

Dynatrace OneAgent Info: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/get-started...

The two versions of AppMon agents are Classic agent and AppMon agent. Here is a link that discussed AppMon agent vs Classic Agent: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/appli...

Hope this helps 🙂

~Rohith

Hi Martin, just to comment on Rohith's answer: In 2017 May the AppMon agent was in fact also previously known as "OneAgent for AppMon" which is why you may still see those references. In 2018 April all references should now be "Classic" and "AppMon" agent.

Also, if you are considering switching agent platform for .NET, you might want to check this page for more information on the different features supported by each agent for .NET

Regards,
Andrew M.

martin1
Inactive

Rohit, Andrew,

That was my guess too.- that OneAgent for AppMon was just named as OneAgent.

Still - look at the screenshot above. It says AppMon vs OneAgent. Shouldn't it be Classic vs AppMon? Or Classic vs OneAgent. It now says AppMon vs OneAgent which should be the same thing?

If I am running Classic now.. does this mean that I am actually running on v6.5 of the agent?

Hi Martin,

In your screenshot the classic agent is on the left (“AppMon” text) and the AppMon agent is on the right (“OneAgent”).

Andrew

Regards,
Andrew M.

Thanks Andrew,

When running the classic agent does it mean that we are running v6.5 of the agent?

Or this is still v7.x just with different architecture and capabilities?

Hi Martin,

No, classic agent just means the old agent architecture. It still receives updates and follows the versioning of the AppMon server (unless you deliberately froze agent updates). For example: If you are on AppMon server v7.0.x.xxxx, then the equivalent classic agent is still v7.0.x.xxxx and v7.1.y.yyyy would be v7.1.y.yyyy....

Hope that clears everything up for you.

Regards,

Andrew

Regards,
Andrew M.

Thank you!

pahofmann
Champion

In 6.5 a new Agent platform for appmon was introduced, it was then
called "OneAgent". But it has nothing todo with the dynatrace
saas/managed OneAgent, besides the underlying new agent framework they
share.

To clear up this confusion, with 7.1 the "old" appmon agent is now called classic agent and the new one is called appmon agent.

There are some feature diferences between classic and appmon agents, like encryption starting at the agent or no additional service for the webserver agent.

You can find more information about the different agent platforms in the documentation.

Hey Patrick, could you edit your answer please? I believe you meant "now called classic agent". Andrew

Regards,
Andrew M.

You are right, very missleading typo! I corrected it 🙂

wael_tellatmsp
Newcomer

That's very confusing !

if I sum up what I read:
- There is an agent called OneAgent that has nothing to do with another product called OneAgent.
- There is a Dynatrace tool called.. Dynatrace.
- OneAgent has more features than AppMon...
- But still, AppMon has more features than OneAgent.
- AppMon changed its name to OneAgent, but still AppMon and OneAgent are different things.

I wish there is a page that explains clearly what each agent is doing.

Thanks,