cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

What is the difference between various Custom JMX * measure

slaurent
Newcomer

When creating a new JMX measure, there are 5 different variations : Byte Measure, Measure, Percentage Measure, Rate Measure and Time measure.

The only documentation I found is

Using Custom JMX and PMI Measures in Charts which does not explain these variations...

Where can I find more about this ? or can someone explain it here ?

regards,

Sylvain

3 REPLIES 3

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi Silvain. I am happy to discuss this question tomorrow during my next online perf clinic - http://bit.ly/onlineperfclinic

But basically it is just how dynatrace captures the value and makes it available to the time series engine of dynatrace. Certain Measures exposed via JMX dont necessarily have a type information. With these different variations you can say that the value for the JMX Measure is for instance indicating "Bytes" as in "Transfered Bytes". Or a Percentage Measure would indicate a value between 0 and 100 that dynatrace will by default display as a % value. Makes sense?

Andi

tthat
Inactive

@Andreas G. So what the difference between the metrics i have provide in the screen shot(these are for Tomcat).tomcat.png

I assume those are JMX attributes provided by Tomcat's JDBC Connection Pool MBean.

If so, it's probably a bit off-topic discussing the meaning of those values here but my personal understanding would be as follows:

borrowedConnectionsCount:
The total number of connections borrowed from this pool.

availableConnectionsCount:
The total number of available (non-borrowed) connections in this pool.

abandonedConnectionTimeout:
The currently set timeout (probably in ms) for when an idle borrowed connection is returned to the pool.

HTH

Enrico