cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

What should be done for this statement,"Instrumentation disabled since the agent could not connect during startup"?

christopher_teb
Organizer

Hi,

some of my agents are not connecting/showing up in the home dashboard of Dynatrace, the server instead shows up that error. How can i overcome that? Hope this wont be including an application restart because its a long story and its PRODUCTION.

Br,Chris

5 REPLIES 5

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Chris,

This means that the agent(s) had an issue and could not connect to the collector during process startup, thus, instrumentation could not be performed. To understand more about the issue, check the agent logs.

Indeed, a process restart might be required to fix this.

Regards,

Radu

Thanks Radu,

But why is that some of the agents in the same agent group returned back and connected?!

Br,

Chris

It all depends on the individual agents' connections to that collector and whether the collector was up when the application/agent was started. You should be able to see which scenario it was in the logs - but things like a high latency connection (maybe the agents not being located close enough to the collector) can result in this as well as any other scenario that may have disrupted the connection at startup. Each connection is unique so it's not uncommon for some to fail and some succeed if there are any issues like this.

James

christopher_teb
Organizer

Thanks James,

Yes i found the Collector was down by the time the agents/application was restarted. That could be the problem. You mean the only solution is to restart the application?

Br,

Chris

Yes, if the agent doesn't get the information it needs at startup it can't instrument the application and the only way to correct this is to restart the application when the collector is available. Once the agent is instrumented the collector can go offline and recover with no issue but at startup this is critical.