cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will be the new direction in Dynatrace for Webstart ?

shameem_kadunga
Newcomer

hi team,

What will be the new direction for webstart ? Currently we are using webstart with client.jnlp files for remote connection.

/webstart/Client/client.jnlp

Dynatrace version : 7.0.35.1009.

I see direction from Oracle that the webstart feature will be discontinued as per

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/9-deprecated-features-3745636.html

5 REPLIES 5

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello @Shameem K.

Instead of WebStart Client we will have to use the Portable Client and Dynatrace already annouced about this.

Regards,

Babar

shameem_kadunga
Newcomer

Thanks Babar,

However we have a challenge in using the portable client (with the execution of EXE file). All the remote users are given VDI (virtual desktop) for getting into the intranet environment. And we are not given permission to run any EXE file on this desktop. All the deployments into this VDI is automated, only those files are allowed to be run there.

In case the only replacement for webstart is this portable client options, then we will have to order exception for this and/or create deployment package for the automated deployment.

Hello @Shameem K.

No installation is needed. Just run the Portable Client from a memory card, USB flash drive, or any removable media. Using the Portable Client not only provides total mobility, but you can also use it to work with different AppMon releases on one machine.

Have a look on the below link for more insight.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/application-monitoring/appmon-client/portable-client/

Regards,

Babar

shameem_kadunga
Newcomer

Yes i understand that, the portable client has to be run on the VDI desktop as far as i understand , and to do that the unzipped folder has dtcllient.exe file to be run I believe. and i get

"S18348 is not authorized to execute DTCLIENT.EXE"

We have discussed this internally, i will have to make a package for deployment in SNOW to order by the users to get it installed on their VDIs. The discomfort in this is, there is an extra layer of management task put on us to maintain this package in repository for deployment 😞 compared to the flexible use of webstart.

In my understanding so far , in our particular environment (VDI) this solution is not a easy replacement of webstart.

Hello @Shameem K.

I can understand the pain of the extra job. 🙂

We are using Citrix for both Clients (Rich + WebStart).

Regards,

Babar