cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Where can I find 'how to' information for instrumenting .NET-based Windows services?

jayne_martin
Guide

This is the first time we've come across a request to use Dynatrace Application Monitoring for .NET Windows service monitoring. Are there any resources which discuss this concept?

5 REPLIES 5

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi Jayne

Sorry for the late reply. .NET Windows Services are just to be instrumented as any other .NET Process. The only additional thing you need to check is whether dynatrace will automatically start a PurePath for the service requests that come in to your service. If your service provides WCF Web Services make sure the WCF Sensor PAck is set to "active and start PurePath". If the service provides other "non standard" entry points you have to define custom entry point sensors. You simply configure a custom sensor for the method that you know is executing "the work item". Then mark the method with "active and start purepath".

I have a video tutorial on youtube where I discuss how devleopers can use dynatrace. One of the topics covered is instrumenting non-web-based apps where I also show how to define these custom entry point sensors. Here is the video link - go all the way to minute 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unrey8wfq-M&index=...

Andi

kenneth_lynch
Inactive

Hi Andi, if we place custom sensors for an entry point it will start a purepath. But, there is no way the tiers can be "stitched" together in the transaction flow. Is that correct? I have a new app with non-standard .net services

Hello Kin,

The Transactions / PurePaths will be stitched if they belong to a same system profile but if you have a more than one system profile and the applications are distributed between them then the transactions will not be stitched.

Regards,

Babar

To add what Babar said. The PurePaths will automatically be stitched together in case your tiers will communicate through protocols that Dynatrace supports out-of-the-box, e.g: Web Services, MSMQ, .NET Remoting, ... Just make sure that you place the sensor packs on both sides of the communication channel.

If you're using a protocol which is not supported out of the box, you could take a look at our Tagging ADK for .NET: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/pages/viewpage.action?title=Tagging+ADK+for+.NET&spaceKey=DOCDT65

It basically lets you handle the "tagging" (passing purepath context over any protocol of your choice) yourself. If you achieve that, you'll have proper connections in transaction flow.