cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't AppMon 6.5 detect these methods in the PurePath?

steve_ullom1
Contributor

In the attached application code, dynaTrace sees and reports the method, "readFoobarDates()", in the PurePath. And It reports the "Sleep" method that readFoobarDates invokes. But it doesn't report the methods, "setPreviousBusinessDate", "setCurrentBusinessDate" and "setNextBusinessDate", that readFoobarDates also calls. Those methods are defined further down in the attached java file. We know that the methods run, because the values they return are seen in the subsequent database calls and the app log shows that they ran. I attached applicationcodejava.txt with the subject code.

6 REPLIES 6

kyle_kowalski
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

How are you looking at the purepaths? There are a couple of things that may be going on here. When you initially load a purepath dashlet we have a summarized view of the entire stack to highlight key parts of the code; to view the full context of the purepath in the top right corner of the tree area there is a link that says something like "View all nodes" if you click that you will see the full purepath. The other side of it is if these methods are key to your understanding of your application I would instrument them as an explicit sensor.

Yep - assume what is being picked up now is coming from auto-sensors. Explicit custom sensors should be used if you want to see every occurrence.

steve_ullom1
Contributor

Thanks Kyle for your response. "Show all Nodes" doesn't show these nodes. I had already put sensors on these methods, so that didn't help.to detect the invocations.

Taking a second look at the methods, we don't normally instrument accessors as those methods will cause a large amount of overhead. I think there is a way to overwrite that within the sensor configurations but I would look at doing that with caution.

steve_ullom1
Contributor

And for James K. These aren't showing up as autosensors either.

A screenshot of what you're actually seeing would probably help. If you're not seeing custom sensors check your agents overview to see if it shows up under deployed sensors for the relevant agents as a first step to make sure they are placed as expected.