cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is jboss7 support for jdbc pool counters in debug mode. And some thoughts I need to understand?

dave_deleo
Inactive

Our people are using jboss and noticed that in the db dashlet the pool information is 0. Their jboss version is 6. So I tried to create a chart using some of the jboss6 jdbc pool counters but for the agent drop down of charts it never showed their agents. Which tells me they are unsupported or somehow need to be turned on within jboss.

And yet when I put my client in debug mode I can then see jboss version 7 support within charts. When I highlight any of the version 7 jdbc pool counters the agent drop down shows our applications agents.

1.) If we are on version 6 why do the applications agents only show up on version 7 jboss jdbc pool counters - where they don't show up on the version 6 jboss jdbc pool counters?

2.) They show up on the version 7 jboss jdbc pool counters but the values are all zero. So my take is their either 0 because the application is using jboss version 6 OR does something need to be turned on in jboss. and what would that be?

Thanks,

David

4 REPLIES 4

harald_berger
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi David,

Please note that the predefined metrics are for JBoss 7.0 community edition. Most likely you are using JBoss 6.x EAP, which is a different build.

It is known that JBoss EAP does not deliver any connection pool counters unless statistics for a certain database are enabled. Please edit your config like in the sample below.

<datasource jta="true" jndi-name="java:jboss/mydatabase" pool-name="mydatabase" enabled="true" use-ccm="true" statistics-enabled="true">

best

Harry

dave_deleo
Inactive

Thanks so much Harry! We did get results but oddly not using the jboss 6 jdbc measures. After the counters were enabled on jboss (which we verified was jboss 6) the information still did not appear on the db dashlet db pool usuage chart. In fact in trying to select jboss 6 jdbc measures no agents for the application appeared. They only appeared when I selected jboss 7 jdbc measures. So in order to see the information I had to create custom charts. (note to see jboss7 measures you need to put the client in debug.) Does any one know why this is working like this?

Thanks again!

David

harald_berger
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi David,

Which exact version do you use? JBoss AS 6 is from 2011, JBoss EAP 6 is current version. Please note that JBoss EAP 6 has actually a 7.x AS core. Just look at the startup output, there should be something like JBoss EAP 6.4.0.GA (AS 7.5.0.Final-redhat-21) starting

Best

Harry

dave_deleo
Inactive

Hi Harry, That is exactly what is happening. Dynatrace is perceiving these agents as jboss version 7 because their true version is JBOSS EAP 6.4... Thanks so much for your great insight with this!

Thanks,

David