cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Why would an HTTP response code not be captured for a web request?

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

What would be possible reasons for AppMon not capturing the HTTP Response Code of a Web Request?

I have certain calls which appear as http calls to a servlet, yet there is no response code attached to them.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Radu
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Update: it seems to be specific to calls made using

Method: BeginGetResponse(System.AsyncCallback, System.Object)
Class: System.Net.HttpWebRequest

c_schwarzbauer
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

short answer: because it's asynchronous.

long answer:

when dealing with synchronous requests, the response is usually easy to get, because it's just there at the end of the calling method.

dealing with asynchronous requests is way more complicated! because you usually don't have access to the response code at the point in time when the request is sent - obviously, because it's asynchronous. so for all the asynchronous technologies we have to find 2 places, one where the request is sent and one where the response is read and the response code is already available. this handling of asynchronous technologies is implemented by us step-by-step, but it looks like we don't have it available for that kind of async calls (yet).

HTH, Christian

Hi Christian,

Thank you very much for the explanation.

Is this step-by-step implementation something we can do ourselves at the customer? (i.e. with maybe a custom sensor) or should it just be raised with dev and wait for it to be included in one of the fixpacks or releases?

Regards,

Radu

c_schwarzbauer
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Radu,

well, theoretically, if you knew exactly what to instrument and capture you could potentially get to the response code via a custom sensor ... but you would not have the usual benefits like error detection and so on. also it might be hard to impossible to figure which request that response code belongs to.

so yes, the best way will be to raise it (potentially also as product idea) and wait for it to be properly implemented.

I can't tell for sure from the top of my head, but it might be that the OneAgent (for .NET in beta for AppMon 7.0) already has a better handling for those requests in place.

best, Christian