cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Will 6.0 WS agent connect to 6.2 WS agent service after upgrade of service?

nva_dt
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi team,

A customer wants to restart/upgrade the 6.0 primary agents first to 6.2, and a day later, restart/upgrade the WS agents. But he wants the 6.0 WS agent, waiting for the restart, to connect to 6.2 primary agents.

Is it the default behavior or

- do we need to change the configuration to make it work this way or

- do we have to restart/upgrade all agents at the same time?

Thank you,

Nicolas

3 REPLIES 3

florent_duchate
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Nicolas

which web server are they using?

As long as you are not physically installing the 6.2 agent on the web servers (i.e. you are planning on relying on the bootstrapping), you won't have any issue with the shared memory file. If you are re-installing, then the old agent will look in ../dynatrace 6.0/agent/conf instead of ../dynatrace 6.2/agent/conf so it won't work unless you reconfigure the directory to be /dynatrace 6.0 in dtwsagent.ini.

Now for the big question, can the web server agent run a different version than the primary agent, I'm not 100% sure to be honest. My approach would be to not even try but it might work... The biggest problem is that if you face an issue when they restart the web servers, you will be outside your change window and a rollback might not be possible.

Anyone else would like to share their experience?

Thanks

Flo

nva_dt
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Thank you Flo,

Following our internal discussion, I will recommend to upgrade WS primary and WS agents at the same time.

Cheers,

Nicolas

chris_geebelen
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi Flo,

From experience I know that 6.0 webserver agent does not work with 6.2 primary agent :-). You need to restart the service and restart webservers agents right after the service.

Chris