cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Windows Java Agent: is the same installing from wizard than copying directory?

dbusquets
Helper

Hi,

In order to speed up our customer's operation process in the installation and instrumentalization of java processes in Windows, we need to elaborate installation step-by-step manuals as easy as we can.

One thing that we need to know in order to achieve that, is if this step could be replaced:

• Step to be replaced: Installation of java (and only java) agent in windows through the .msi wizard.
  • Could be replaced completely by this: copying the final installation directory of a previously installed agent?

My doubt comes by this question: does installation using the wizard does more things than just create the folder?

Thanks!

Dani

3 REPLIES 3

kyle_kowalski
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

The wizard from the Add Tier in the client just walks you through the steps needed to add an agent into the system. If you already have an agent installed on that system you can use the old directory instead of re-installing a new agent version, if you do this you can skip the first few pages in the wizard as it is just ensuring you are installing the correct agent. The main thing that I like the Add Tier wizard is that it will pre-configure sensor packs for the relevant JVM.

Hi Kyle,

I dont mean the Dynatrace "Add Tier" wizard, I mean Windows agent installer.

Thanks

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Daniel,

As per the below statement, the agent installation should be done on each host instead of copy/pasting from the other.

The actual bootstrap and core Agent parts are installed to DT_HOME/agent/lib[64] and updates to the core are in DT_HOME/agent/downloads/<version>. Shared memory and .ini files are in DT_HOME/agent/conf. DT_HOME/log is common to all components, which is one reason that it is important to keep the DT_HOME folder structure and permissions.

Regards,

Babar