cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

Would Hot Sensor Placement Changes be Applied in Offline Session?

waikeat_chan
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Hi experts, would this do the trick? would the PP or trans flow diagram changes after these steps (refer to the picture below)

The reason I asked this is because I am troubleshooting a stitching issue, in this staging environment I first create a custom sensor that shotgun all the method with a specific word in the name (because in Staging we afford have CPU spike compare to Production) , and then all the thing stitch up as expected. So now I have to narrow down to the exact few methods that should be use, then only after that would the custom sensor pack be applied to production's AppMon.

So if this method works, then I guess I can really speed up my work, without having to bothering the team to always inject traffic. Also, I ASSUME the hot sensor placement would be faster this way? (If, this way ever works)

Any other suggestion/insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

JamesKitson
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

No sensor changes will affect any stored/offline sessions. The session files are based off of the sensors that were in place at the time the data was forwarded by the agent so if the sensor was not active at the time the session was created and captured by the agents it will not be in the session regardless of the sensor changes in the offline session. Any such changes only apply to new data that is captured by the agents (and even these only occur after the sensor becomes active either through application restart or hot sensor placement in the case of Java).

So if you want to see what sensors will be capturing it will have to be applied to the live agents and a new session captured or analyzed.

James

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

As James mentioned, session files have already collected the data so sensor changes do not affect session files as the data has already been collected.

However your idea of using the Active|Inactive sensor switch is useful for your needs. But of course it will need to be done to a running JVM, not a stored session. So once you play with a bunch of sensors, that should help you determine the best sensor set for production.

hth

joe

waikeat_chan
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Thanks James and Joseph,

One last question though

Said, hm........if I am not expecting the sensor change to give me more (for the reason that you guys have mentioned, really common sense there), instead I am expecting the sensor change to give me LESS, after I deactivate/unplaced certain sensor.

Then would this be possible? or it would be still no changes? since in this case I am not adding sensor, but reducing sensor.

Best Regards,

Wai Keat

Wai,

Sensor changes affect the agent which collects data. But stored sessions are simply data that has already been collected. So therefore you cannot affect a stored session by changing sensors. The only change you can make to stored sessions is by changing the post-collection processing, such as BTs. But the data that's been collected cannot be changed.