Did you mean: 

about Sizing

dt_its3-1
Inactive

Hi,

this is Ryotaro

I want to ask about DTServer sizing.

・the environment (amount of transaction and Agents) is "medium" environment

・the Machine CPU has meets the requirements for Medium, but not Large.

・the Machine Memory has meets the requirements for Large.

1.Use "medium" environment normally

2.Use "Large" environment to increace the heap memory size

■which is good performance to use?

I checked the following message in documents.

This setup needs at least x physical CPU cores. The current system has only y cores.

This warning will be displayed if the total number of CPUs (including virtual cores e.g. through Hyperthreading) is smaller than the minimal number of required physical cores for the selected sizing. If you select a sizing although you get this warning the Dynatrace Server will not be able to handle the maximal number of transactions per second, as displayed in the "Recommended setup" section. Select a sizing with this warning only if you do not expect to reach the displayed transactions per second. Otherwise please select a different sizing or upgrade your hardware.

■so I think I can choose 2 and 2 is better performance to use though. is it right?

Best regards

Ryotaro

10 REPLIES 10

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Ryotaro,

I would propose you to go with the medium size environment where the CPU and RAM both meets the requirements, especially when you have the number of transactions and agents according to medium sizes.

If you are expecting transactions more than the recommended for medium environment, then increase the CPU Cores at least to the recommended level, differently you can face a server performance degradation issue.

Regards,

Babar

dt_its3-1
Inactive

Hi, Babar

Thank you for your answer,I understand your opinion and 「2.」is irregular setting though.

However, I just want to know can I increase the heapsize memory without problem when I choose Large on this environment or not?

・the Machine have extra memory, so our customer want to assign extra memory to dynaTrace

・the Machine CPU has meets the requirements for "Medium", but not "Large".

・the Machine Memory has meets the requirements for "Large".

■when I choose "Large" on this environment, the performance can be worth than when I choose "medium" or not? If yes, what kind of problem can be ocurred?

Best regards

Ryotaro

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Ryotaro,

I understood your requirements that you want to use the available resources of RAM.

Which APM version do you have?

Regards,

Babar

dt_its3-1
Inactive

Hi, Babar

Thank you for your quick reply,

I want to use dynaTrace6.3

(We are plannning the migration for DT5.6 to DT6.3.)

Best regards

Ryotaro

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Ryotaro,

Since version 6.0 '-Xmx' and '-Xms' VM arguments are ignored. Please use the '-memory' parameter instead.

Please check the following post for better understanding.

https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/172621/dts...

Regards,

Babar

dt_its3-1
Inactive

Hi, Babar

Thank you for your answer, so, I should write 'Large' to '-memory' parameter right?

then, Is it no problem to choosing 'Large' environment for using extra memory?

===================================================================

・the Machine have extra memory, so our customer want to assign extra memory to dynaTrace

・the Machine CPU has meets the requirements for "Medium", but not "Large".

・the Machine Memory has meets the requirements for "Large".

■when I choose "Large" on this environment, the performance can be worth than when I choose "medium" or not? If yes, what kind of problem can be ocurred?

Best regards

Ryotaro

BabarQayyum
Leader

Hello Ryotaro,

Basically '-memory' parameter changes automatically when you select the settings. If you select the 'Large' sizing then most probably you will face the CPU health problem in the case of high transactions thoroughput.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Ryotaro and Babar,

this problem (having enough memory but not sufficient CPU power for the desired sizing) will be addressed in 7.0, where we introduce two sizing categories, one CPU based and one memory based, so you could have a medium sizing overall but select a "large" sizing for memory.

Pre-7.0 you have to use an unsupported memory configuration that you'll have to negotiate with support if you discover that indeed it's the memory that's limiting you.

Best regards,

Peter

dt_its3-1
Inactive

Hi Babar and Peter,
Thankyou for your answer

I understood your answer
・If I select the 'Large' sizing then most probably you will face the CPU health problem in the case of high transactions thoroughput.
・in DT7.0, I can setting memory for using extra memory
・Pre-7.0, I have to use an unsupported memory configuration

So,I want to check my understanding.
When I use DT6.3, I have to choose "Large"environment if I want to extra memory.
(I have to admit the possibility of CPU problem in the case of high transactions thoroughput.)
it's only way to use extra memory in DT6.3, right?

Best Regard

ryotaro

Hello Ryotaro,

Absolutely Right !!!

Regards,

Babar