cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

monique_vanwall
Organizer

Since upgrade to 6.2 we face regular issues with dynatrace server. To avoid uncontrolled restarts, we daily restart the server at 06.00 am.

If an agent is being restarted during the time that server is offline, we see that the agents can not connect to the collectors and do not get connected anymore. Does anyone face the same issues ? Is this normal behaviour or a bug ? I do not see reason why no connection to collector is possible, I tought one of the funtionalities of the collectors was just buffer in case server not available.

Monique

7 REPLIES 7

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Hi Monique

You should really try to figure out what is going on with your dynatrace server. there should be no need to restart the server once a day. I assume you are already in contact with our tech support team? If not - please open a ticket.

Andi

Hi Andi:

I have doubt that if something wrong with Collector How many times agent will reconnect to Collector?Are there have settings to change reconnect times?Thanks in advance.

BR

Guangzhi

Hello Guangzhi,

The Collector collects data such as measurements and PurePath-related events from the Agents and sends these data to the Server. If a Collector fails due to hardware or software failure, the Agents buffer data from a couple of seconds to up to a minute, depending on load. As a result, no data is lost if the Collector is started again within this time.

You should use more than one Collector for Agents of the same type (Agent Group / tier) and configure Collector groups in a production environment.

If the Collector comes up within a minute again, the Agents automatically reconnect to the Collector and the latter to the Server.

If not, the Agents can fail over to a different Collector in the Collector group.

Review the below link for the highly available installations of each component.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/doc/appmon/installation/deployment-guide/additional-deployment-best-practices/highly-available-installations/

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar:

Thanks for explanation.While I am going to figure out how agent works when disconnect with collector,You know,In our production environment,we have Collector groups indeed.Could you help me that?Thanks!

BR

Guangzhi

Hello Guangzhi,

As per the documentation the Agent usually fails gracefully e.g. if the connection to the Collector / Server fails, the Agent simply skips application events or at worst fails to instrument the SUD (System Under Diagnostics). In either case, this does not cause failure of the SUD.

Regards,

Babar

Hello Babar:

Could you know how many times and how long agent will retry to connect the Collector? If the agent retry again and again the system cpu will getting high or any other system performance comsumed?Thanks.

BR

Babar

Hello Guangzhi,

The maximum time to wait for a connection to an AppMon Collector is 20 seconds by default which was 60 seconds until the AppMon 5.5 release.

The Agent needs to do several 10,000 round trips to the Collector at application start up.

Regards,

Babar