cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

application monitoring using dashboards ?

monique_vanwall
Organizer

In our environment, about 500 applications are known in production.

I try to convince operational teams, to use the default monitoring, as creating dashboards for each and every application is giving lots of overhead.

Web request performance-monitoring is a good entry to start with. But request of operational teams is to have a dashboard with same information, where they can have multiple tab-sheets (with a view on their assigned applications). Opening that one-dashboard, would avoid having to navigate constantly between all applications you are responsible for.

So my question is, how can we provide the information as it is shown in the web request performance monitoring in a dashboard, prefered with not a lot of customization (to restrict maintanance on changes)

See also attached print-screen, what we want to achieve is having these dashlets on a dashboard. By having filter on dashlet level, you should be able to select application. And have a tab, for each of the applications you are responsible for. This would also enable DT-clients to go back in the past (what is not possible using monitoring)

Thx for any usefull tips

Monique

5 REPLIES 5

nva_dt
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Monique,

If you want to have the 500 applications on the same dashboard, that will be complicated. I can't see your screenshots.

First solution, it's eventually possible to generate those dashboards automatically (less than a day of development for a developer). You can find the list of your profiles on the server configuration and generate 10 dashboards automatically. With that solution, you run that little piece of code to update the dashboards (easy maintenance). Then you can configure the Dynatrace client to use the kiosk mode (fullscreen client switching to the next dashboard every x seconds).

Second solution, Export all your built-in Web Request Business Transactions to a big data tool, for example Splunk, if your company has one. On the Dynatrace side, you configure the export settings and for each applications, you only need to tick the export checkbox for one transaction per profile. Then, it's I think possible to perform some automatic configuration in the big data tool to create one or multiple dashboards.

Hope this helps,

Nicolas

monique_vanwall
Organizer

Nicolas,

First of all, no, we do not want 500 app's on one dashboard. But we want to provide a 'simple' way operational support teams, that are responsible for a number of applications can monitor their app's . Application monitoring gives us the required information, but in practice, you spent 75% of your time in navigation between the different app's to be able to see what is happening. Having a look at trends (increase of # request, increase of response times) for a number of applications is not that obvious using application monitoring.

In that way, I tought about a multiple-tab dashboard (one for each app ?) with same information as application monitoring view. see dt-02242016-151452.jpg

About your first suggestion : I do not have any idea what you are talking about. How do you link reports to system-profiles ? Indeed, a report will have the system-profile as one of it's attributes, but then again, I do not see why any solution would be related to a system-profile (unless you think that we have a large number of system profiles, which is not the case) Can you provide me some more information on that ?

thx

Monique

nva_dt
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Monique,

I understand, this is a lot simpler than I first thought.

A solution would be to recreate the Web Request Performance dashboard and copy/paste it for each of your applications. If you open all the dashboards, you can easily switch to another one from the top right section of the screen.

To answer your questions, when you create a new dashboard (from the menu, Dashboard > New), you can select the dashlets and organize them as you wish on the dashboard.

A dashboard can display information for one or multiple profiles. When you display the Web Request Performance dashboard, it's linked to one profile only. In your case, its name is PROD.

If you recreate the dashboard as a custom dashboard, you can map the different dashlets/sections of the dashboard to a different profile, allowing to display information for multiple profiles on the same view.

Regards,

Nicolas

Thanks for your comment. I already created a lot of dashboards...that is not the issue. But in this case, I seem not to be able to find the appropriate dashlets that are visible on the monitoring of applications pages.

Most of the applications are in one system profile (PROD), as having pure-paths over multiple system profiles is not a documented feature and is not guaranteed for future. And most of our applications are having links/shared webservices/...

Regards,

Monique

This post has instructions for creating baseline dashboards from the application monitoring dashboards:

https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/137815/re-...

HTH,

dave