cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

dynaTrace DB agent Licence exhausted

nbourounia
Participant

Hello,

We've recently upgraded to dynaTrace 6.5.

We set-up the DB agent and then when we view the agents list, it shows up as connected but with the following warning:

License exhausted; Too many 'Database' agents connected; 24 CPU cores require 3 licenses

As per my understanding, the DB agent is considered as a host agent. And our licence gives us 20 host agents that we didn't use any of them until now.

Am I wrong? Can anyone help with this please?

Thanks,

Nada

2 REPLIES 2

dave_mauney
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi Nada,

The DB agent is licensed per 8 CPUs, so you need 3 DB Agent Licenses.

Host Agent licenses are not equivalent to DB Agent licenses.

Consider that a host agent is less expensive than Java/.NET agents, since it just monitors Host CPU/Memory/Disk/Network. I believe the formula is 10 Host Agents = 1 Java Agent. I am not sure if 1 Java Agent = 1 DB Agent, but I know there is some ratio that is taken into account. Basically, you will need to convert some unused agents to 3 DB Agent Licenses (or purchase them) to get your DB Agent connected since a Host agent license (1 or many) will not work for it.

You might be able to get these licenses temporarily as part of a POC, of course, if needed.

I would recommend that you open a support case with license support or speak to your sales contact about the conversion process, whichever is easier for you.

HTH,

dave

nbourounia
Participant

Hi @Dave M.

Thank you for your answer. That helps me better understanding the licencing process.

I'll discuss the options with my team.

Regards,

Nada