cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

how do you disconnect a .NET agent?

bill_scheuernst
DynaMight
DynaMight

I disabled the .NET configuration and removed the process. The .NET agent still indicates it is connected. I don't need the agent anymore.

Dynatrace Certified Professional
8 REPLIES 8

florent_duchate
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi

I guess when you say it is connected, you can see it on the agent overview screen?

Did you use the .net agent configuration utility to remove the agent?

If yes, I'm wondering if you disabled the wrong agent in case you had several on this machine. Did you restart IIS too as it might not have picked up the change until an IISRESET?

Regards

Flo

bill_scheuernst
DynaMight
DynaMight

Yes and yes. No, there is a .NET agent and a web server agent. We only used the .NET agent. The web server agent is disabled and disconnected. See attached.

agents.pptx

florent_duchate
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi

could you post a screenshot of the .net agent utility main screen please?

I just want to check which processes it is seeing.

Regards

Flo

bill_scheuernst
DynaMight
DynaMight

The problem is, there are no processes being monitored and the agent is set to Inactive.

services.pptx

net-agent-utility.pptx

Do I just uninstall the agent software? Does the server need to be restarted?

I'd like to disconnect the agent and NOT have to uninstall the software in case I need the server in the future. I have a set amount of licenses and would like to free up the license for use somewhere else.

Hi

ok, I can see that the web server agent service isn't there anymore but we knew this already because the IIS agent is no longer connected.

There is no mapping left on the .net agent configuration utility which is as expected.

I'm wondering if the w3wp process is still running even after you bounced IIS because removing the entry on the configuration tool will only take action after the process fully restarts.

If there is no w3wp process on this machine then there cannot be an agent.

In doubt I would reboot the server to be 100% sure as I have seen this many times before where IIS does not actually restart any process especially from the IIS console.

Flo

I forgot to confirm that you don't have to uninstall the agent software to disable the agents.

For IIS, remove the module and for .net make it inactive. Restart all the processes.

At least that's the expected behaviour when everything works fine.