cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

how to hide Database Connection String

chao_wang
Guide

Hi ,In our .NET application, we use sqlserver .we found that some DB connection string password are hide to ***, Some string NOT hide.

Like this (<add name="Name" connectionString="Data Source=datasoure.com;Initial Catalog=Logging; User ID=Logging;Password=***" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" /> ) password can hide

As shown below, password is unhide

<add name="Name"
connectionString="Data Source=datasoure.com;
Initial Catalog=CatSam;
Persist Security Info=True;
User ID=Usersam;
Password=123456;
MultipleActiveResultSets=True"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

9 REPLIES 9

graeme_william1
Inactive

Chao,

Could you include a screenshot of where you are seeing this in Dynatrace?

It would be interesting to know if the difference between connection pools is maintained in different parts of Dynatrace -- e.g., in the database dashlet and the PurePath tree -- when you open the details pane for a given database request.

What version of Dynatrace, .NET and ASP .NET are you running?

-- Graeme

chao_wang
Guide

Hi Graeme.

In purpath ,

.NET4

Thanks

chao_wang
Guide

Hi Graeme,Please hep us take a look at this case.thanks

what version of dynatrace is this?

It could be that this is a bug in our detection and parsing of connection strings. in your second example it seems your connection string has a lot of newlines. maybe that is causing us to not correctly identify the password field and therefore not masking it. I am asking for the dynatrace version you use because I know that some instances of this have been fixed in recent versions

Andi

Andi Thank you .

We use dynatrace 6.2.2

Hi Andi ,

Can you provide the version that mashking this? How can I get the new patch?

thanks

Hi. This problem will be fixed with the next version of dynatrace - which is dynatrace 6.3. The official release is planned for end of feb/early march.

If you need a fix for your current version then I suggest you open a support ticket and ask for a fixpack

dominik_gruber
Newcomer

Hi,

thank you Andi for your analysis.

We have fixed an issue with new lines in connection strings which will be part of the upcoming 6.3. release.

If you do not want to wait for 6.3. please open a ticket at Dynatrace support and we will provide a fixpack on top of your Dynatrace version that will resolve this issue.

As a workaround you can adapt the connection string and remove any new lines in order to have any PWs masked out again.

Thanks,

Dominik

Thanks Dominik for fixing this!!