cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

migrate from 6.2 to 6.5

anil_perera2
Helper

Is there a direct migration from dynatrace 6.2 to 6.5?

The migration jar pdf only shows the migration in two steps.

1) Create the source Archive

2) Upgrade from source archive to dynatrace 6.5

Earlier we had this option.

java -jar dynatrace-migration.jar -migration -sourceDTHome "C:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace 6.1" -targetDTHome "C:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace 6.2 "

11 REPLIES 11

smunawar
Inactive

Hi @Anil P.,

Last Sunday I migrated 6.2 to 6.5 config files on my machine, it's not going-live yet, but below is the command I was using to migrate the configuration.

java -jar dynatrace-migration.jar -migration -sourceDTHome "D:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace Server 6.2" -targetArchiveDir "D:\EMS\APM_Team\AppMon65"

Below is the command to restore on the 6.5

java -jar dynatrace-migration.jar -migration -sourceArchive D:\EMS\APM_Team\AppMon65\filename.dtma" -targetDTHome "D:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace Server 6.5"

once imported I can verify the System Profiles, all BT, LDAP Config, PWH and User config included.

anil_perera2
Helper

So have they taken away the one step migration? Migrate from sourcefolder to targetfolder in one step.

chris_weigelt
Newcomer

Check the version of the dynatrace-migration.jar file

"D:\Program Files\dynaTrace\dynaTrace 6.2\jre\bin\java" -jar dynatrace-migration.jar -version

Then check the dynatrace-migration.jar options available with the following command.

java -jar dynatrace-migration.jar

You should see "-targetDTHome <directory>" option under the "Select exactly one target option:" section of the help.

sathiya_b01
Newcomer

Hi all,

My production website is using dynatrace v6.2 where i wanted to upgrade v6.5 without disturbing existing setup . please suggest.

There isn't really a way to upgrade the existing setup without disturbing it. As part of the migrate process, you will have to shut down all of your 6.2 servers and collectors.

At my site, we have our Dynatrace Server on a separate box from everything else. We did the AppMon 6.2 -> AppMon 6.5 upgrade in Linux at the beginning of November and it took about 30 minutes to complete.

We had documentation and steps prepared, with files downloaded and ready-to-go before we took the AppMon 6.2 Server offline. As long as you have that, as well as rollback plans as per the Dynatrace Community Documentation, you should experience a smooth - but temporarily disruptive - upgrade.

Hi Joshua,

Can you please share the documentation and steps prepared, it will be very much useful for us.

Also what files u downloaded?

We were doing a full upgrade of all of our components, so we used the Linux Full Install package. We had another machine which held a Collector and Analysis Server on it, so we downloaded the Linux files for those too.

Let me see if I can get permission to share our documentation. I will update you by the end of business today (USA Eastern Time 5PM).

The general format is as such:

1. Prepare using the checklist found at https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...
    1. Remember Java 8 is required!!
  2. Create backups
  3. Download new install files to the machines you are upgrading
  4. Install new components
  5. Migrate old files to new components
  6. Set up auto-start features as needed

I've also attached the full document I used, based off of the Dynatrace Migration Guide found here: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

This guide goes into more specifics than my general upgrade document does.

We had 2 boxes that we needed to upgrade, hence why you see us upgrading the DT Server + Collector, and a DT Analysis Server + Collector in the document.

Let me know if you have any general questions, but specific help should probably be directed towards a Support ticket.

Kind regards,

Joshua Pavlicadynatrace-6-5-upgrade-generic.docx

sathiya_b01
Newcomer

@joshua, thanks for your document and information. Currently my servers are windows not Linux.

Also direct upgrade/migration of v6.2 to 6.5 is not advisable, so have u tried doing it in lower environment like Dev or stage environment.

One more question, we have valid license for dynatrace so we need to buy again new license for upgrade?

The overall Dynatrace Migration Guide should include information regarding Windows environments. The general steps I provided are still valid.

Yes, we have a lower test environment which we tested this on first.

You'll need to have the license upgraded in Dynatrace eServices. You should not need to buy again. Specific questions like this should be answered by your sales contact, however, as your contract could be different than mine.