Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upper limit of system profile

dt_its3-1
Inactive

Hi,

This is Ryotaro

I want to know about upper limit of system profile.

Could I make system profiles Unlimitedly?

I know that 10 GB minimum capacity is required for each system profile.

Is there any other consideration?

Best Regards

Ryotaro

8 REPLIES 8

Babar_Qayyum
Leader

Hello Ryotaro,

There is no upper limit for the overall session storage or a specific to a profile and it all depends on your need.

To understand the Quota and Reservation Limits and Dependencies, please read the following information, which will give you a clear understanding about quota system and continues transaction storage.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/pages/vi...

Regards,

Babar

peter_karlhuber
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi Ryotaro,

the maximum number of system profiles is a KPI that we're trying to raise lately. Measurements have shown that the system performance (i.e. purepath throughput) decreases noticeably when you have > 10 system profiles for dynatrace 6.3. This number has been raised considerably for 6.5, for example in an xlarge environment with 96 GB you could have 100 system profiles without noticeable effect on throughput. With less memory, there'll be issues with the constant memory overhead that a system profile adds. This will be partially addressed in 7.0.

So in total, if you're considering 6.3 (which I think you are), note that the disk space isn't the limiting resource when adding more system profiles, rather it's CPU and memory consumption, affecting total purepath throughput.

Best regards,

Peter

dt_its3-1
Inactive

Hi Peter, Babar,

This is Takunobu.

Please let me ask as well because it seems to be related to system design.
We will use dynatrace v6.3.

>So in total, if you're considering 6.3 (which I think you are),

>note that the disk space isn't the limiting resource when adding more system profiles,

>rather it's CPU and memory consumption, affecting total purepath throughput.

[Question]

Q1. Is it due to "transaction volume"?

Q2. Will the system profile definitely drop if it exceeds 10?

Q3. If We want to make the system profile 10 or more with v6.3, please let me know if there is a way to avoid purepath throughput impact.

ex 1) Prepare two server instances and reduce the number of each system profile to less than 10.

ex 2) Create 11 or more system profiles, but stop several system profiles among them and set the running system profile to 10 or less.

Best Regards,

Takunobu Atsukawa

Hi Takunobu,

Q1: yes, it's related to the transaction volume. If you have many profiles without traffic, you can have a lot more than 10. As soon as there's some traffic on them, though, their overhead will grow.

Q2: No, Babar is right in that you can define any number of system profiles

Q3: We have many customers who have more than 10 system profiles in 6.3. The performance impact will affect you only if you reach the limit of transactions per seconds (i.e. this limit will be lower depending on the number of profiles you have).

Example 1 would work but can be a pain in the ass to set up and manage

Example 2 would also work, but it's also not ideal from the management point of view.

In general, you'll see problems in high load installations. You could choose to make a separate server for the very high load profiles and leave all the other ones together on another server, for example.

Note that for 6.3, the promised transaction limit is around 3000 transactions per second, if I recall correctly. Best regards,

Peter

Hi,Peter

This is Ryotaro

Thank you for your reply.

Could you check about our environment?

Our environment have 14 System Profiles,
In Sizig tool, We got following data.
【Large】environment
Avg w/ UEM 2,858 Transactions per Second (tps)
Peak w/ UEM 5,716 Transactions per Second (tps)

[Machine Speck]

Memery「28GB」
Server [16GB]
DTServer:8GB + FrontendServer:4GB
  +JVMsettings 4GB
Collector [8GB] (2×4)
PWH4GB

CPU「24Core」
16+4(1×4)
PWH4Core

It means the system performance (i.e. purepath throughput) decreases noticeably at peak time.
so we should devide Phisical server for throughput right?

Best regards
Ryotaro

Hi Ryotaro,

here we've reached the end of my wisdom, I'm not really that much of a sizing expert. 5k is the limit for 6.3 if I recall correctly and our internal measurements have shown that with more than 10 profiles it's more in the 4k+ region (all average values).

I personally would recommend setting up two servers, but please ask some experts, maybe someone else can help out or you open a support ticket with your specs and the filled out sizing xls.

Are these machine specs the actual hardware that you have or the recommendations from the sizing tool? Are you planning to install all these components on the same host? Cheers,

Peter

Hi, Peter.

OK, I understood your answer.

>I personally would recommend setting up two servers

I want our customer to devide physical server for the environment though.

I want to know the reason to explaine our customer about why our customer should devide physical server for the environment .

・transaction limit is around 3000 transactions per second for DT6.3

・from the transactions data, the system performance (i.e. purepath throughput) decreases noticeably at peak time.

・>Example 1 would work but can be a pain in the ass to set up and manage

・>Example 2 would also work, but it's also not ideal from the management point of view.

■In concludion, generally, we should devide physical server,and setup two servers right?

Best regards

Ryotaro

Hi Ryotaro,

I don't want to commit to a concrete recommendation here as it's a difficult topic without knowing all the variables, but abstractly speaking, yes, if it's possible to physically split the server, it would be the best option for throughput. Cheers,

Peter