cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

visit ip is not as appear on "what is my ip"

Yosi_Neuman
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi

What can cause that some times I can't find my ip on the visit deshlet and its appear under different IP?

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace primer partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel
9 REPLIES 9

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hi Yon,

I guess it could be a load balancer IP address or a kind of reverse proxy.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar

Thanks for your answer .... it could be but the question is why google's your public IP address is different then the DynaTrace collect ?

Yos

dynatrace certificated professional - dynatrace primer partner - Matrix Soft Ware Division - Israel

adam_gardner
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

We calculate the IP based on headers that are passed through firewalls / load balancers etc. to the web server / application level (so the agent sees it).

By default we use any of the following:

• rproxy_remote_address
  • True-Client-IP
  • X-Client-Ip
  • X-Forwarded-For
  • X-Http-Client-Ip

But these are entirely configurable (Settings > Dynatrace Server > Geographical Locations)

Other reasons could be:

1. (as Babar said) Some component in front of the web server isn't passing one of those headers through fully or correctly.
  2. Your site uses a different header - in which case, add it to the section given above.
  3. Your network is setup so that you're NATed and given a specific IP.

When you say sometimes can't see your visits? Could you be going via a specific proxy sometimes and not others?

Hi Adam

I can see the visit but it sometimes registrar under different IP from what I was looking for

Yos

Hello Adam,

We have a setup for a public application that when internal users access that application they come through proxy, therefore, we can see number of visits from the same IP Address but for other traffic they IPs are unique.

Are you accessing application from outside your office or you are accessing within the office?

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar

This is kind of office and we connect directly to one of the ISP vendors

Yos

Hello Yos,

I am asking below just to narrow down the options:

• The ISP you are connected, whether you have a dedicated line/ lease-line with the static IP or you have a Router/DSL with the dynamic IP?
  • Where is web sever hosted?

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar

Sorry for the dally with this replay

• The whole neighborhood is connected to the a local network that has got some kind of connection to a ISP and I don't know how exactly .
  • The web server hosted on the customer site in another place , not on the same local network.

Since I can't track my visit with the IP found with "show my public ip", I'm looking for a way/tool that will help be find my "DynaTrace IP" and with it to locate my visit among the other visit. (and no there is no TAGing to the visit on that site)

Thanks in advance

Yos

Hello Yos,

If you are connected with a DSL so on every restart it is going to pick a new dynamic IP.

Might be hosted company has a load balancer in front of your web servers to distribute the traffic or might be your site uses a different header as @Adam G. said.

You can configure the visit tagging if you required to capture the Username / User ID and for that purpose you just need to create a custom sensor to get the argument or return value.

If yo need any help in this please let us know.

Regards,

Babar