cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This product reached the end of support date on March 31, 2021.

what values should we use under Display name and Patterns when we configure process availibility in 6.5?

andret
Participant

13 REPLIES 13

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Leader
DynaMight Leader

Hello Andre,

Please check the below link for the process and infrastructure health monitoring.

https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/...

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

I tried to create a process to monitor in my computer as below. However, i can't see it in the host dashboard. Any other places i need to configure?

Thanks,

Clare.

Hello Clare,

A prerequisite for this feature is a host agent running on the host that executes the processes to be monitored. Agents for other technologies (e.g. Java and .NET) cannot be used for process availability monitoring.

Running / Unavailable processes are listed in the infrastructure overview. Once a process is not available, an incident is created.

Regards,

Babar

Thanks Babar, i have tried to use host agent and see it on the process dashlet. However still cannot see any status.I double checked the windows task manager, the cmd.exe is running. Under the pattern colomn, i entered cmd.exe, i think it should be correct?

Hello Clare,

Seems to be okay but just verify the following:

• A host has to belong to one and only one hostgroup.
  • For the Add / Edit Host dialog box, you can select the check box to use the process patterns of the selected hostgroup, then specify the processes using the Add / Edit Hostgroup dialog box.
  • Processes can be monitored by using pattern matching. Click the button to the right of the process name list, then click the top available line in the Pattern column to enter a pattern match string, which must be written in lowercase.
  • The process name to match with the pattern includes the process path. The pattern matching supports * wildcard at the beginning and end. e.g. *w3wp.exe -ap ".NET 4.5"*
  • This specifies that all processes matching the pattern are monitored by the host. Click in the Display Name column to add a descriptive name for the process pattern match.

Regards,

Babar

Hey Babar, I followed your recommendations on configuring the process availability capabilities using 6.5 Host Agents, but the incident rules, "Process Availability Violation" are not sending emails. Outside of configuring the email recipients in the Infrastructure tab for Server Settings, is there a way to ensure that emails are sent?

Regards,

Eric

Hello Eric,

Do you receive emails for other alerts?

Can you please more elaborate that where and how did you configure the alert?

Regards,

Babar

Hi Babar,

I receive the email alerts from the configurations in the Infrastructure settings under "Alerts". all 4 check boxes are checked to receive email alerts from CPU, Mem, Network, Availability, and the available processes and their PIDs are seen in the Monitoring dashboard. I know that the host agent is able to recognize when these processes are up or down, and an incident is created when the expected process is not running, but I'm not receiving an email from neither the System Profile Incident Rule "Process Availability Violation", nor the Infrastructure Incident Rule "Process Availability Violation". The email recipients are configured for both. Do you know how to get Process Availability Violation incidents to send emails?

Regards,

Eric

Hello Eric,

You can check the highlighted option and also this is incidents belongs to the infrastructure.

The below builtin incident is for the application process.

Please correct me, if I understood wrongly.

Regards,

Babar

Hi Eric,

it is currently not possible to send an email / execute an action based on the "Process Availability Violation" incident via the Alert configuration, but this feature will be available in the next public update (6.5.14), which should be released around the end of this month.

Regards,

Christoph

andret
Participant

Thank you Babar,

I will read through the information and let you know if I have any issues.

Great links. here is the link that gets you directly to the doc for that feature: https://community.dynatrace.com/community/display/DOCDT65/Infrastructure?_ga=1.108597250.1433912981.1461676512#Infrastructure-HostgroupDialogBox-AvailabilityTab.1

I also covered it in my Whats New in Dynatrace 6.5 video that you can find on APM University (http://apmu.dynatrace.com).

The idea with that feature is that a Dynatrace Host Monitoring Agent can monitor if a certain set of processes is running on your hosts. For instance. If you have a background process running and you want to make sure that process is always there you can tell Dynatrace to monitor how many instances of a partiucular process are running. The Pattern is what allows you to configure the process itself, e.g: myprocess.exe or myprocess.* - the display name is just something we show in our UI

Hi

We have a requirement to monitor processes running on Linux,

The following two processes were added for monitoring works.

chrony 944 1 0 May21 ? 00:00:05 /usr/sbin/chronyd

libstor+ 953 1 0 May21 ? 00:00:02 /usr/bin/lsmd -d

What i cannot get to work is the following

I have tried using these pasterns as well.