cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows performance counters permissions

sxsaxena
Participant

The support document is confusing to me. It seems to be detailing how a collector can make a remote call to a windows server in order to get performance metrics captured by windows performance monitors.

I am clicking on our profile name in the MONITORING tab, clicking Topology, clicking a .NET process, and seeing the screen showing all the generation 1, gen2, large object heap, etc.

Only CPU usage and "GC Caused Suspension Time" has any metrics. Passing transactions also has metrics . thread count, gen0-2, and large object heap say "No permission to read performance counters".

How can I resolve this? What user does the agent run as (isnt it just Local Service?) and what additional permissions are needed to view these performance counters?

6 REPLIES 6

andreas_grabner
Dynatrace Leader
Dynatrace Leader

Hi

There are two types of Windows Performance Counter Monitoring

#1: Is done by the Dynatrace .NET Agent that is injected into your app. That agent CAN ONLY capture metrics from that process but is also limited to do so depending on the Windows User Account that runs that process. If you dont see Gen0, Gen1, Gen2 ... of a monitored process it is because the User Account used to run that process doesnt allow our .NET Agent to query performance counters from that process

#2: We also allow you to monitor ANY type of Windows Performance Counters through our Windows Monitor Plugin. This plugin gets executed on a Collector. The documentation you found describes that this Collector needs to run on a Windows Box and the user account you use for that Collector Service Process needs to have priviliges to access Windows Performance Metrics on those machines you want to monitor. This is the reason it talks about Remote Perf Access

Does this make sense? In your case it seems you need to figure out which user account runs your .net process and then give this user privilges to access windows performance metrics

andi

jcamps
Advisor

Maybe this thread also helps you:

https://answers.dynatrace.com/questions/167897/empty-generation-0-generation-1-generation-2-and-l.html

perfect 🙂 - thanks for posting this!!

Thomas_Schmitt
Participant

regarding #2 - is there a chance to get windows perfmon data also from linux based collector and app mon server ?

Nope. Windows Perf Counters can only be retrieved from Collectors on windows due to dependencies to windows libraries!

sxsaxena
Participant

so basically, assuming the .net agent is running under "local system", i'd need to give the "local system" account permissions to gather those perf metrics, or use a different use that already had those permissions. and if I want to use monitoring (like from a collector) i need to make sure i'm using a windows based collector to do so, again with the appropriate account/permissions.