cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x-dynatrace header/tagging

srikar_mohan333
Inactive

Hello,

We have an application where a request passes through nginx --> node.js --> tomcat --> database and currently only the nginx and tomcat components are instrumented. We see purepaths starting at nginx and purepaths starting at tomcat (basically separate purepaths)...when i look at the web request details, specifically the HTTP Tag attribute for both nginx and tomcat I do not see any information there.The response headers dont seem to contain x-dynatrace as well...but when I set the "always add dynatrace header to the response' within servlet sensor properties i can see the x-dynatrace header but it only consists of UEM related values and doesnt contain TagID/AgentID.

I am curious what could be the problem, is it possible that these are not being set? or that the header is being modified/stripped? or is it because node.js is not instrumented? How do i go about troubleshooting such scenarios.

Thanks,

Srikar

5 REPLIES 5

Joe_Hoffman
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

The x-dynatrace header is not your issue. The problem is that Node.js is not instrumented. Just add an agent to Node and the purepaths should be a single view across all 4 tiers.

instrumenting node.js resolved it. Thanks!

c_schwarzbauer
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

in addition to what Joe already said: the "always add dynatrace header to the response" setting takes care of the response-header, not the request-header! the response-header is not used for tagging at all, but mostly for integration with other products, e.g. passive network sniffing tools.

But the header within the request actually is used right?

srikar_mohan333
Inactive

Thanks Joe & Chris...1 follow up though, even if node.js isn't instrumented shouldn't I still see the http tag on the nginx and tomcat side?