cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of recommended environments

monica_serrano1
Newcomer

Hi all,

we are installing a Managed and not sure about how many environments we should define.

Do you recommend one for Productions servers and one for Pre-production, and then work with MZ, Tags and Host Groups? or it is better to segment Production environment one for each application?

What are the advantages and disavantages of having more or less environments? Limiting licensec duplicate configuration settings,...

1 REPLY 1

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

There are some questions that you have to answer. First you need to define your requirements on data separation. In your case I guess there's no need to physically separate them.

Then next question is on your requirements on configuration separation and autonomy of your teams to adjust the configuration. If you have only 1 team managing all stages and apps, you should rather have 1 environment as it's easier to manage. Thank here also about scale so you don't have more than 25k OneAgents connected to one or other limitations.

Management zones can help you to organize the data so you take a look precisely on what are you interested in.

Last (but not least!) tip I can share with you is my blog post : https://www.dynatrace.com/news/blog/go-web-scale-by-providing-dynatrace-managed-as-a-service-to-your...

that can help you get inspired what to do.

Hope that helps, all the best!

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Featured Posts