cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB instances in dynatrace managed

s_guermach
Visitor

We are a heavy user of azure SQLServer databases in our environments.

We observe that dynatrace is creating multiple instances for one and the same DB. 

This is apparently because the DNS resolution in azure, returns different IPs. Also apparently azure can migrate the server from one instance to another resulting in dynatrace creating more DB instances. This is making our live harder tracking DB calls, throughput, error rates .. etc as they can be in any of these DB instances in dynatrace. There should be some way of ignoring the IP when identifying a DB in azure, and the database instance should be identified only by DNS name, which is always unique.

6 REPLIES 6

tibebe_m_digafe
Advisor

We got the same issue with AWS RDS mult-AZ DB instances. We see more than one DB services post instance failover in AWS. Even worse, the DB service that should have been marked as inactive (if updating  is an issue) could be showing  associated with 2 DB instances (or more) if the "IP address" of the DB instance prior to failover gets re-assigned to another DB instance in AWS. 

tibebe_m_digafe
Advisor

I have opened a support ticket for this

Santosh
Observer

Is there any specific solution did you received from support team?

tibebe_m_digafe
Advisor

No specific solutions was provided at the time. I suspect you experienced the same recently which suggests the issue has not yet been addressed.

I have not heard from my users for a while. I have not tested either in recent time.

Tibebe

Santosh
Observer

Thanks for your reply, yes I am getting same problem while moitoring DB's with dynamic IP's, whenever there is change is IP it creates the new service or there are multiple services are created for same DB

tibebe_m_digafe
Advisor

I went back to the case I had opened at the time to find out more details:

They had me open RFE - https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Dynatrace-product-ideas/Database-service-detection-not-reflecting...

You can vote up the RFE, and appreciate if others can do the same

Tibebe

Featured Posts