cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decommisioning of Kubernetes Metrics to new Version _ Migration Steps

echwallah
Advisor

Has someone come acros any effective way of determining which Dashboards and views can be affected due to Dynatrace decommissioning old metrics on new cluster updates?

I have a client who has utilized the metrics from their Kubernetes Monitoring in a large number of Dashboards and SLO tiles.

Dynatrace has indicated that there is no automated where of determining this and one has to manually search for the affected views and edit the metric definition MANUALLY.

According to Support the Metric Audit Tool that was provided is unusable.

Shouldn't Dynatrace have prepared us for these changes since the impact is that Dashboards will become unusable.

Also shouldn't they have worked with the DEV team to provide a working tool that can migrate our Dashboards automatically?

Dynatrace Certified Associate
9 REPLIES 9

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Hi @echwallah ,

You always have interesting topics for discussion and which would help larger audience. 

There is no dedicated tool to achieve this migration, but yes we can use MONACO to migrate dashboards to new cluster. Before migrating we can do the needful changes in configuration files as per the updated metrics requirement.

KG

echwallah
Advisor

Thanks @techean u also Inspire me. 

I have a client with a huge number of Dashboards using Kubernetes metrics and the fear is that they will become unusable.

Could we discuss a runbook we can apply with Monaco so that we can share the same to our clients?

Is Dynatrace aware of the Impact that this decommissioning will cause. I expected they would come up with Mitigation Mechanisms for this since DT are the ones doing the decommissioning. Our current Dashboards are working fine but I feel we have been left on our own to figure out

echwallah
Advisor

According to DT Support the Metric Audit tool is not working.

How are we supposed to find out which Dashboards will be affected?

Secondly how do we Migrate Manually?

We need DT to provide documented steps

echwallah
Advisor

Apologies to larger team reading this.

I accidentally marked this thread with an Accepted Solution. This is by Mistake.

@techean could you assist or anyone to remove the "Marked as Solution". This is still Open

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Ok! did it. 

Metric audit tool is not working for what reason? did the support update you that?

Currently you can export the configurations json from existing setup, and also try exporting json from unparaded setup. Make sure both are up and running in parallel Infra. manage separate folders for json file and using and IDK just try searching the metrics value related to the changes. You could get list of files which needs changes as per the new metrics.

KG

echwallah
Advisor

Thanks @techean and appreciate the effort.

Just out of curiosity, Dynatrace is aware of the impact of the new Metrics.

Can they come out clearly and provide steps whether automated or manual that we can confidently share with Clients?

Some of our clients are very cautious and sharing a solution from a community forum might not seem like an authoritative source.

We need some communication also from Dynatrace.

How do we migrate affected components?

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

Did you raise a support ticket? is there any update on it?

KG

echwallah
Advisor

There is a support ticket on this and the last communication was that the Metric tool is unusable.

But if it is usable it will only to discover affected components

We are not getting a concrete methodology from Dynatrace on Migration Steps. It can be Manual or Automated. We just need it to come from DT as Authoritative.

florian_g
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi - I'm owing this topic on the Dynatrace side and wrote a lengthy blog post about all that here: https://community.dynatrace.com/t5/Dynatrace-tips/Introducing-new-Kubernetes-metrics-for-improved-us...

Can you elaborate on why the Metric Audit tool is unusable? First time hearing that and really curious about what is not working or why it is not usable.

Sorry for the late response here - been out-of-office for little over 2 weeks 🙂

One does not simply run a container...

Featured Posts