cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kubernetes Cluster Monitoring in Dynatrace

shashank_b_agra
Organizer

Hi, I have recently deployed Dynatrace on one of my Non-prod GKE cluster to get better visibility and monitoring. I followed the steps listed here https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/full-stack-dto-k8#manual , used the recommended configuration approach which is classicFullStack. I downloaded the file from here as mentioned and customised as per our requirement. 

Also We used pipeline to run these commands.

Now everything worked fine and I am also seeing data in Dynatrace but I have a question about the Cluster name which is auto generated I guess from the Custom resource file. The name is 'dynakube'. I am trying to understand where that name is coming from? And is it possible to modify because when I deploy this to Production, what name would it pick?

It looks like this at the moment and this is everything for my Non-prod cluster. What happens when I deploy this to Prod or any other cluster? How would i differentiate?

If anyone has done this before, any help is really appreciated.

shashank_b_agra_0-1643905807907.png

4 REPLIES 4

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

You can edit the name after deploy, on the Settings page for the Cluster.

Captura de Tela 2022-02-03 às 14.03.02.png

And/or During the deploy, you may try the param together with the final kubectl apply

--cluster-name "MyClusterName"

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

lplichart
Dynatrace Enthusiast
Dynatrace Enthusiast

Hi,

When you manually add a cluster the name of the cluster is defined in the yaml file

lplichart_0-1643910707717.png

You can always change the cluster name in Dynatrace by going to the cluster settings (click on the 3 dots on the cluster line under the Kubernetes section)

lplichart_1-1643910777932.png

Hope this helps

Hi @lplichart @dannemca Thanks for the response. Yes there is an option to change the name in settings but since I am doing this using pipeline and soon we are going to do this using helm chart so this we can include Dynatrace as our IaC, then in that case won't that be override? And then again I would have to change my MZ settings, alerting profiles etc.
So let's say I change it from the settings now and then in future when I run the pipeline, I modify the yaml file and put the new name which I already have in Dynatrace. Would that work or it will break anything?
'dynakube' reference is also made in kubernetes.yaml file so I guess we would need to change that as well.?

Let me know what you guys think would be the best way.

You can add the name metadata as pointed by @lplichart .

And I am not 100% sure, but you can also include the "--cluster-name "MyClusterName"" during the apply to name your cluster on Dynatrace.

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

Featured Posts