cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dashboards - linking to the underlying data and which APIs to call - meta data and measurement data for a dashboard

rob_allan
Newcomer

Hi there,

I have a bunch of dashboards that our client has implemented. We have been experiencing issues on our dashboards - the underlying problems is that the underlying measure (class method etc) has changed - in Dynatrace parlance this is a 'key request'. What I would like to be able to do is to find out about each dashboard and get meta information

I have already used the Dynatrace API over REST with an authorisation key and I can get details back of the client servers etc - no problem with the API.

To my question

What is the best API (or set of APIs) to allow me to find out the details of any of the specific dashboard. Specifically I would like to know

• is there a method to obtain meta inforamtion about a dashboard - the underlying key request (transaction), the name of the dashboard.
  • is there a method to obtain the data associated with a dashboard. I am interested in how the measures are behaving and doing some statistical analysis of the data.

I may have to call a few APIs and then use some of the returned values across a few API calls (eg if API A return a 'correlation id') - happy to follow your advice here.

I am hoping that the responder will provide names (and any specific URLs params / message body) for specific APIs as described on the following page

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/dynatrace-api/

There are lots of APIs described at that page - please provide some recommendations on which one to use.

Thankyou community

3 REPLIES 3

skrystosik
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

As I understand you do not only want to have data structure from dashboard but data contains on tiles as well?

Sebastian

Regards, Sebastian

rob_allan
Newcomer

Hi there. Yep the dashboard has lot of tiles on it. Each of the tiles has a measurement and typically a graph (e.g a line graph). I would like get the meta data associated with each of the tiles. Thus tile 1 might be a measure of the 'number of books sold'.

• is there a method to obtain meta information about a dashboard - the underlying key request (transaction), the name of the dashboard. So for example if we have a tile that is 'number of books sold' the specific code class / method etc that is driving that tile.
  • is there a method to obtain the data associated with a dashboard. I am interested in how the measures are behaving and doing some statistical analysis of the data - ie to allow me to see the specific numbers of books sold over the last X period of time.

I may have to call a few APIs and then use some of the returned values across a few API calls (eg if API A return a 'correlation id') - happy to follow your advice here.

I am hoping that the responder will provide names (and any specific URLs params / message body) for specific APIs as described on the following page

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/dynatrace-api/

There are lots of APIs described at that page - please provide some recommendations on which one to use.

Thanks in anticipation

skrystosik
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Best I think will be Dashboard Configuration API:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/dynatrace-api/configuration-api/dashboards-a...

If any of tiles is configurable like Custom Chart you will have definition of metrics that are there available. If you for example has there some key requests as filter you should be able to see it, but I think tou will get only ID of those entities. I'm not sure if there is endpoint for this. If filters will be based on tags than there is this endpoint:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/extend-dynatrace/dynatrace-api/configuration-api/automaticall...

In general you will have to query your dashboards and check if yo have all data you need. If not, other endpoints has to be checked in order to find direct answers.

Sebastian

Regards, Sebastian

Featured Posts