cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License Consumption Tracking

jwillia1
Newcomer

Is there a way to determine license consumption by Management Zone, or host group, etc.?

That information is useful to determine the quantity of licenses each application (and related devices, etc.) is consuming

3 REPLIES 3

Mike_L
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

You can extract that from the API (host units consumed + management zone for example). Once you have the data you can push it back as a metric. You could even automate it as an AG extension if you want to. That is how our services department usually does it. 

r_weber
Pro

Hi @jwillia1 ,

yes, I have implemented this for two of my Dynatrace customers with a fine granular metric. See example here. (see screenshots of one usecase)

This uses my timeseries streamer that exports metrics from Dynatrace into an external TSDB. In my case - since the license metrics are not really usable within DT entities itself (e.g. no metrics exists for host unit consumption), I also use an AG plugin to parse DT entities and calculate host units based on host groups and push that back to Dynatrace as metric (so you can also use it on a dashboard there - though custom metrics in DT might cost...so I rather export it externally).

kr,

Reinhard

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

Maybe 'Deployment Status' can also be a place to consider, since Management Zone can be applied there. The caveat is that place only show the HU, not DDU nor DEMU