cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which entity types support Automatically applied tags?

Adrian_I
Frequent Guest

Hello!

We are looking for a piece of documentation or even better a programmatic method (through API calls?) that gives us a list of entity types that support Automatically applied tags.

Data fetched via the API endpoint GET all entity types does not contain any indicator to point out if an entity type supports automatically applied tags. How can we determine this information?

I am asking this because the current auto-tags docs are outdated and the list is not complete.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

dannemca
DynaMight Mentor
DynaMight Mentor

Theoretically any entities types, since you can just apply the tags using entity selector:

Captura de Tela 2022-03-29 às 10.54.08.png

Let's see what the experts says. 

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

dannemca
DynaMight Mentor
DynaMight Mentor

Basing on the docs, the entity type can hold these values only:

Captura de Tela 2022-03-29 às 10.56.57.png

Hi @dannemca 

unfortunately it is not that easy due to 3 reasons:

1. trying to use the entitySelector on e.g. a DOCKER_CONTAINER_GROUP, you are faced with an error message that your entitySelector string contains an entity type that does not support automatically applied tags:
c7fdaf57-f230-4316-aef9-26277623310a.png

2. the publicly available documentation is outdated, because CLOUD_APPLICATION_INSTANCES, e.g., do support automatically applied tags although they do not appear in the list.
3. finally, the /validator endpoint for AutoTag rules does not complain about the unsupported type, hence you can naively create an entitySelector-based AutoTag rule via the API, but then need to verify the result manually in the UI

Since you get the Error message that you can see in the screenshot already during typing the entitySelector string (not only if you click on Create rule), I assume that there is a validation mechanism already on front-end level, I assume (but I have to guess here) that there is kind of a list  of types that can be used in entitySelector based rules.

Got it, and agree!! 

Let's see for an update on the doc, since it is crucial for proper tool usage.