cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AWS/cloud costs

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I have been trying to figure out a good way of tracking AWS (or other cloud) costs. The idea would be to have the data that I have in AWS Cost Explorer directly inside Dynatrace. I would imagine that some day Dynatrace will have that option, and Davis alerting that the costs are going too high 😉

In the meantime, going through the Activegate Extension route would seem the most logical way, but grabbing the data from Cost Explorer APIs every 1 minute is clearly overkill. It would be more interesting to have data with an hour or day resolution, but that doesn't seem to be an option at the moment.

So the question is: How are you Dynatracers controlling costs in the cloud, and have you managed to integrate it into the platform?

Antonio Sousa
3 REPLIES 3

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

So for costs we use an excel sheet that captures the rum metrics for each application on a monthly basis so we then know if we have been over or under the monthly allocation for our license, This is also then calculated into Quarters as well. Same with Synthetics, when we add a new synthetic, we put down the estimated cost of the monitor monthly, and because this is static, we just add it to our tracking sheet. We also use the CMC to get an overview of the consumption at a monthly basis as well and we keep track of that too. This allows us to accurately forecast the usage and possible overages for the remainder for and for future years to come. Last year I was within $500.00 of the overages price range. Keeping in mind our excel sheet also had our contract data with the cost of overages so it would calculate that for us as well. There was another post out there where I actually included the excel sheet. I know @Dave M. had commented on it as well but I cant seem to find it.

-Chad

Seems I expressed myself wrongly. I have edited the text to reflect that. I'm thinking about the costs reflected in Cost Explorer, and trying to figure out what are the costs for EC2, S3, traffic, etc.

Antonio Sousa

Hi Antonio,

as a partner of Dynatrace we have implemented in Versio.io a solution how you can charge the costs of environments or applications topology including all dynamics. Enclosed some info:

https://www.versio.io/solution-cmdb-cost-allocation.html

You can also find us in the Dynatrace Software Intelligance Hub:

https://www.dynatrace.com/hub/detail/versioio/

Regards Matthias

---
Chief Technology Officer at Versio.io

A Stargarderstr.10, 10437 Berlin, Germany ¬
P +49-30-22198651 ¬
M +49-178-8380495 ¬
E matthias.scholze@versio.io ¬
W www.versio.io ¬

Featured Posts