cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activation of Deep Monitoring was unsuccessful

Starhut
Helper

Hi guys, I know that there has been question about this. But my situation seems to be different from that.

With statement: Injection to this process is disabled by internal configuration. 

I have checked through our configuration for deep monitoring, same process in other servers work well.
What kind of internal configuration that I have to look through?

6 REPLIES 6

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Databases are not a subject for deep monitoring, so this message you see is expected. I believe the message there is because part of the database engine is written in .NET and detected with Dynatrace (see the technologies). So the builtin rule is there as a sanity check.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Starhut
Helper

Hi Julius, this is not a database. Instead, it is a database service. Based on documentation below, 

• End-to-end visibility into requests of all auto-detected server-side services, including database services.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/how-to-use-dynatrace/process-groups/configuration/pg-monitori...

If deep monitoring is not allowed, the message probably won't show up even though it is sanity check right? 

Database services are detected on the application level. So the DB services are built from the requests from application servers and bound to the process groups of databases. You already have the service detected as shown below, you don't need (or want) to have deep monitoring of the database processes.

Julius_Loman_0-1673855603399.png

Hi Julius, thanks for the explanation.  However, I think we are going far from the topic, it doesn't seem like the matter of I need (or want) but about the message. Why would it appear there? What about the internal configuration that it points to? If that is detected because part of sanity check of .NET, the message shouldn't be there to mislead us right?

Sure, this is slightly misleading and I think the message should be improved. Rules about not instrumenting MSSQL Server processes are built-in and you cannot override them.

@Christoph_Neum - FYI.

Hi Julius,

For your information, changes have been made on the message on Dynatrace Managed Server version: 1.258.

Refer to:

Changed the message about no injection for the blocklisted process from "Activation of deep monitoring was unsuccessful" to "Cannot enable deep monitoring for this process

Dynatrace Managed release notes version 1.258 | Dynatrace Docs

Thanks.

Featured Posts