cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding dimension to custom metric?

AntonioSousa
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

I have an extension that uses a certain custom metric. I would like to add a dimension to it, but seems it's not possible. One of the justifications is to guarantee the continuity of the data. But looking at the API, seems that we can only create/delete metrics...

I agree that changing some parameters (eg. "unit") might not de feasible, but changing a displayName or adding a dimension doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Before putting in a Product Idea, has someone an idea if this is possible?

Antonio Sousa
8 REPLIES 8

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

@AntonioSousa just start sending data with the dimension you need. You can't modify the metric data you already have in Dynatrace. For new data - just specify any dimension you need. 

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Interesting! I'll try it out...

Antonio Sousa

@Julius_Loman,

Didn't work. Gives constraint violations, and complains about dimension not being defined.

But I might have forgotten to say one important thing: I'm using API v1, not the v2 line protocol, which I imagine is what you were referring to?

Antonio Sousa

Yes, that's important. I always use Metrics v2 API instead of TImeseries v1 API. With metrics API it's definitely possible as you don't need any registration. I already almost forgot v1 API still exists.

techean
Dynatrace Champion
Dynatrace Champion

@AntonioSousa  did suggestion from @Julius_Loman  worked. Were you able to create or add new dimensions against our custom metrics?

Also could you confirm if this dimension gets later available for custom alerts placeholder message?

I would like to try it sometime later for one of the client use case. 

KG

@techean,

When trying to ingest data for a metric that had no dimension definition, it gave a constraint error. And I have no way to change the definition of a metric.

Antonio Sousa

icecoolcat
Newcomer

Hi i've been trying to add additional dimensions to a custom metrics at the calculated service metrics page in dynatrace. So far, i've only been able to add 1. Do you know how to create additional dimensions to a metrics?

@icecoolcat calculated service metrics can have only one dimension. My answer above was for ingested metrics.

Featured Posts