cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Rules

barryla
Helper

Hi, currently in Dynatrace, creating an application is a tedious process of selecting 1 rule at a time.

Can the application rule definition be made easier by allowing to select multiple conditions. At the moment, I have the following problem

We have 3 applications running on the same application server, the name of the applications are application.com/abc, application.com/def and application.com/ghi.

This is in the live system, we then have the following applications in our test environment, t-application.com/abc, t-application.com/def and t-application.com/ghi.

How would I be able to differentiate the 3 applications in the live system from those in the test system?

I would like to create 6 different applications namely:

ABC_Live application.com/abc
DEF_Live application.com/def
GHI_Live application.com/ghi
ABC_Test t-application.com/abc
DEF_Test t-application.com/def
GHI_Test t-application.com/ghi

Thanking you in advance

2 REPLIES 2

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

You just have to setup the application rules as precise as possible. Rules can be set on URL or hostname. So basically, unless both production and test environment for application is accessed using the exactly same URL, it's just a matter of correct rule setup.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Yep, in my case the URLs are exactly the same, only the domain differs. So because the rule options are so rigid, I have two options to go with:

1. Not being able to distinguish between app1 and app2

2. Not being able to distinguish between production and test

Edit: actually, I should've checked the demo environment first, always good for examples. So it seems you can actually define URL-based rules also in a way that contains the domains - e.g. "All URLs starting with http://ec2-54-91-154-186.compute-1.amazonaws.com/image_gallery"

I'll go and test that now, looks like it should work in my case 🙂

Featured Posts