Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculated service metrics - Response/Processing time unit

Babar_Qayyum
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Dear All,

What could be the reason that the 'Response time/Processing time' unit fixed as 'Microsecond' in the calculated service metrics? Whereas, the same metric can be used with the different units in the custom events for alerting. The cluster version is 1.216.132.20210601-083338.
BabarQayyum_0-1623648983200.png

Regards,

Babar

5 REPLIES 5

bobby_crumley
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi Babar

This metric is captured by Dynatrace in the Microsecond granularity by default, and when reported that can be mathematically grouped and added to show minute/second/millisecond times. As calculated service metrics cannot be adjusted after creation, this ensures the most detailed granularity within this metric so it can be used. 

Because of this, this is a metric which can be used for Custom Alerting, and by changing the granularity it just tells the back end to group microseconds into mili/second/minute timings you are requesting. 

In short, it prevents a custom metric from creating per minute intervals and trying to make Custom Alerts in second intervals.

Hope this helps

Bob

Hello @bobby_crumley 

Thank you for your comments. Is this started recently or was it there since the beginning but I did not notice?

Regards,

Babar

Hey Babar, yes this has been since the beginning.

Hello @bobby_crumley 

Thank you for the confirmation.

Regards,

Babar

ashish060211
Visitor

Hello @bobby_crumley 
I want to ask a question here. I want to solve this problem --> alert me when at least 10 request are having response time greater than 10 SECOND in the interval of 5 MINUTES. 
To solve this things, I tried to create calculated service metric for response time when it auto selected to MICROSECOND. Then at the bottom of the page, I selected Response time [ms] field. Now it is veru confusing should I pass values in MS or MICROSEC here. When I passed as 10000 ms, the alert which was generated considered it as 10 MICROSECOND. So I tried to correct it by passing values as 1000000 MICROSEC. But I found that that field doesn't allow any value bigger than 1410065.

So My question to you what should I do here?

Featured Posts