cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom events for alerting from OpenTelemetry

sp
Visitor

Hello, 

I would like to know if there is a possibility to use from  OpenTelemetry traces>ConfigurationData.find>Timing section to create Custom events for alerting.  

9 REPLIES 9

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

Hi, sp

Try to use the builtin:span_responsetime metric, and split the dimension by span.kind, filtering by the resulting span service from your ingestion. 

Check if this fit for your need.

Screen Shot 2022-06-07 at 16.48.28.pngScreen Shot 2022-06-07 at 16.48.11.png

Site Reliability Engineer @ Kyndryl

sp
Visitor

Hi,  in code for metric, you have spin.kind. And in the first screen health controller index. This means that you set span kind for health controller index? I cannot relate both screens together. However very insightful for me at first place. 

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

HealthController#index is the trace name, indeed you will not be able to use it as a filter for the metric monitoring, but you can monitor the span service where this trace is associated with, and then, the monitoring will be done on all the traces.

sp
Visitor

I wrote the following but got no response:

builtin:span_responsetime:filter(and(in("dt.entity.span:service",entitySelector("type(span:service),entityId(~"SERVICE-A0248DA9AF8D0000~")")))):splitBy("span.kind"):avg:auto:sort(value(avg,descending)):limit(100)

I assume from my span: kind is by me  "client". And Operation is "ConfigurationData.find", (where this appears by me as "HealthController#index" in your case) .

And by my app, only trace from OpenTelemetry is integrated and nothing more. If other steps should be done to get back entries from this query? 

Plus: pure "builtin:span_responsetime" does not work, as well, any idea, what could be the reason?

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

How are you instrumenting the OpenTelemetry to get the ingested traces?

If you are using the OT instrumentation, you should see a service span type on your service list... but if you look closer, they are not services, but Custom devices.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 11.55.10.png

This was added to the SaaS version 1.238, https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/release-notes-saas-sprint-238#services-for-opentele...

not sure about Managed (found nothing on release notes)

So, if you are seeing those span services on your env, I suggest to try the Explore Data on Build mode, instead code, to make things easy.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 12.02.27.png

Or do this, to make even easier:

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 12.03.05.png

sp
Visitor

https://opentelemetry.io/docs/instrumentation/go/getting-started/#trace-instrumentation

applied this approach here. Instrumenting trace. and under services don't have span service in UI..

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

What is the version of your Dynatrace tenant? Is it SaaS or Managed?

sp
Visitor

1.236.119.20220321-160129 and is managed 

dannemca
DynaMight Guru
DynaMight Guru

The span services were introduced on version 1.238 (SaaS), not sure about Managed.

You can try to update the version to get it automatically or define your own manually.

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/custom-topology#define-new-entity-type

Here are the rules for the span services that is created since 1.238 version:

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 16.50.00.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 16.47.33.png

Featured Posts