cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCRUM synthetic interface.

pebalm
Guide

We have an old integration whereby DCRUM somehow extracts and compiles into output files (.csv) data from synthetic monitoring. We are looking to eliminate this process and wondering if anyone is familiar with it, and what alternatives may exist. I've thought of using the REST interface of Synthetic monitoring, something I worked with once, years ago. Also wondering if there's anything in the new platform, such as ActiveGate, that may offer a similar facility. We're looking to decommission DCRUM, as most of our user base has switched to UEM to get similar data, but this synthetic interface report file generation is a legacy operation we may have to support a replacement for.

5 REPLIES 5

Philipp_Kastner
Dynatrace Pro
Dynatrace Pro

Hi @Pete B.,

Dynatrace offers an API to push generic synthetic data into Dynatrace. For details see https://www.dynatrace.com/news/blog/integrate-exte...

Might this be helpful in your case?

Kind regards, Philipp

pebalm
Guide

Well not exactly. Perhaps our process is so old that nobody remembers it anymore, but DCRUM provides a facility to extract data from what used to be Gomez (DT Synthetic Now) and deliver it to a CSV file. From there, we have applications who import this csv data into their own reporting tools and dashboards. We can debate all day about how they may be able to use the DT UI instead, but the fast path to eliminating DCRUM, independently of re-engineering their process, is to find a new way to extract csv files out of synthetic monitoring, on a scheduled basis. We know we can get reports and files out of synthetic via the UI, but we need to do so without a user being involved to execute the task. We don't need to get synthetic data, let alone 3rd party synthetic data, into Dynatrace, we need to get test data out of Dynatrace Synthetic into 3rd party reporting tools.

roman_windischh
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Hi Pete! What we're planning to add for custom charts is the capability to get a REST call to our public APIs from an existing chart by the click of a button. By calling the API you'd be able to fetch a chart's data periodically and build reports from that. Is this something that would help you?

pebalm
Guide

I think that's saying the same thing, sort of, except that to "fetch a chart's data" we need to be able to schedule an automated process. We don't have anyone to click a button every time. This is what DCRUM somehow does today and I'm trying to figure out how it does it, but it was set up years ago and there's no one around who knows how it was done.

roman_windischh
Dynatrace Mentor
Dynatrace Mentor

Third party reporting tools usually offer to periodically pull data from an external API. This whole concept is built around automation, so that nobody actually has to click a button every minute.