cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate application names

fstekelenburg
DynaMight Pro
DynaMight Pro

Duplicate Application names, I thought it was not possible, but creating an application with existing name seems to be possible. But is undesired in my point of view, there may be a purpose, but I do not see it. Besides monitoring the underlying domains separately yet still using the same name.
You can have the application list with multiple of the same name, but from outside you can not tell which is which.
Maybe we've to starting thinking of application grouping?

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner
4 REPLIES 4

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

You can rename the application anytime, but the identifier (APPLICATION-123456789ABCDEF) is important. Initially, the identifier is derived from the application name, but then it stays fixed for the lifetime of the application. Yes, this may be confusing, but for example, this is valid also for other entities such as hosts, process groups or services.

What you can't have is duplicate action names of the same user action type within an application.

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

I know they can be renamed, and the name is merely a label to the entity, identified indeed as you indicate.
But since there's no warning in the UI, the application can be easily be recreated by mistake. So make a notification 'already exists are you sure' would be an RFE candidate I guess 🙂

I understand it works as designed. But having a application list that contains the same name multiple times, does not necessarily make things clearer:

EasyTravel  Poor  0.03 /min  Visually complete: 2.9 s  -  0.00 /min  0.16 /min
EasyTravel  Good  0.12 /min  Visually complete: 2.5 s  -  0.25 /min  0.56 /min
EasyTravel  Good  0.20 /min  Visually complete: 1.7 s  -  0.02 /min  1.05 /min
EasyTravel  No user actions during past 21min   Poor   0.12 /min  Visually complete: 1.2 s  -  0.03 /min   0.89 /min

So proper configuration and naming policies need to be defined and followed. 

Kind regards, Frans Stekelenburg                 Certified Dynatrace Associate | measure.works, Dynatrace Partner

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

to add to @Julius_Loman, you also cannot have duplicate rules on two different applications. 

-Chad

Yes, that's correct. Having duplicate rules, however, does not make any sense. 

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

Featured Posts