Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Dynatrace Managed installation on encrypted disks

jose_damian_rui
Organizer

Hello all

I would like to know:

- is supported Dynatrace Managed installation on encrypted disks?

Many Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

We recommend to use transparent disk encryption, such as dm-crypt software or self-encrypting drives, or - if used in the cloud - make use of block storage encryption (e.g. AWS EBS to encrypt disks).

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Thank you very much Radoslaw S. for your help.

My concern here is:

- May we suffer performance issues on Dynatrace Managed if we choose disk encryption?

Because I guess that encryption must to affect performance... Am I right ?

On the other hand:

- Are there any limitations or constraints on Dynatrace Managed cluster if we choose disk encryption ?

I really appreciate your references and help

Many Thanks!!

The limitation is IOPS performance for disk - https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/managed-requirements#hardware-requirements

I suspect encryption impact depends on the solution.

For instance for AWS EBS:

Encryption is supported by all EBS volume types. You can expect the same IOPS performance on encrypted volumes as on unencrypted volumes, with a minimal effect on latency. You can access encrypted volumes the same way that you access unencrypted volumes. Encryption and decryption are handled transparently, and they require no additional action from you or your applications.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/EBSEncryption.html#ebs-encryption-requirements

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Hi Jose,

We have a similar security requirement. Were you able to successfully encrypt your cluster ? If so, did you get any noticeable performance hit ? Which directories were encrypted ?

Thanks for any inputs!

Hi There,

@Radoslaw: Which directories/files would you say could contain sensitive information like request attributes  ?

Featured Posts