Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Looking to upgrade from Dynatrace Managed to SaaS? See how

Dynatrace Managed will support strategy for RHEL 8.5, 8.7 and 8.9

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

As I receive many questions about why Dynatrace Managed doesn't support Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8.5 I've decided to write a community post about this. 

We don't plan to add support for RHEL 8.5.

Updated 7th November 2022:

RHEL 8.7 and 8.9 versions will be supported for 6 months only in alignment with Red Hat support policy (see below). This approach should give you the time to transition to the following version smoothly. 

Radoslaw_Szulgo_0-1643028955658.png

details: https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/

Hope you find it well. Feel free to leave feedback here.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert
24 REPLIES 24

ChadTurner
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Thanks @Radoslaw_Szulgo !

-Chad

kuncarlos
Dynatrace Helper
Dynatrace Helper
WHomES

@Radoslaw_Szulgo do you have any update on this question by @kuncarlos ?

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

Based on your response and other customers, we've decided to support RHEL 8.7 and 8.9. But we won't support Oracle Linux 8.7 and 8.9.

Updated 7th November 2022:

RHEL 8.7 and 8.9 versions will be supported for 6 months only in alignment with Red Hat support policy (see below). This approach should give you the time to transition to the following version smoothly.

Updated 2nd December 2022:

RHEL 8.7 will be supported starting version 1.256 - to be released still in December.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

thank you ! 

Cluster_Upgrade_Failure_2022-11-27.JPG

Except on the 27th, my Auto Update did not complete on my RHEL v 8.7 servers ...

RHEL 8.7 and RHEL 8.9 will be supported... once we announce it. Probably starting version 1.256. In your case, please reach out to the support team, so they help you overcome your upgrade issue.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

RHEL 8.7 announced in version 1.256:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/whats-new/release-notes/managed/sprint-256

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Hello,

so the Dynatrace support to the RedHat 8.7 is "temporary"? Or from now on it will be supported by all future versions of Dynatrace?

Thank you
Roberto

It will be supported by the following 6 versions plus the support time (3 or 4 months depending on your Dynatrace ONE subscription). 

see: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/eos-announcements#future-dynatrace-managed-operatin...

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Suryanto_1
Organizer

We are on dynatrace managed. Is RHEL 8.5, 8.7 and 8.9 supported? If not it is in the pipeline?

Managed system requirements - Dynatrace Docs

Hi @Suryanto_1,

I do not think so. RHEL 8.5. 8.7 and 8. 9 are not LTS (long time spported by RHEL) versions.

Best regards,

Mizső

Certified Dynatrace Professional

Suryanto_1
Organizer

Hmm isnt the solution of this thread stated 

Radoslaw_Szulgo
Dynatrace Guru
Dynatrace Guru

RHEL 8.5 and 8.7 is no longer supported. 

RHEL 8.9 will be supported starting 1.282 (to be released in January 2024)

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Suryanto_1
Organizer

Because of critical or high vulnerability customer may be force to move to RHEL 8.9

Assuming you have customer that are on Managed 1.272 or 1.274. How are they going to proceed?

Because our understanding is Dynatrace Mnaged upgrade is incremental.

You cant go direct to latest version. Whats the suggestion or advice?

Why are they forced to 8.9? 8.8 Also should receive all security fixes. 

There's no way to workaround, they currently have to run all updates up to 1.282. 

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Lorenz_1337
Observer

I think we would have to update manually as soon as 1.282 is available.
You can update a Dynatrace Cluster manually, see https://docs.dynatrace.com/docs/shortlink/managed-update#manual-update
By updating the nodes manually you can use a parameter to temporarily bypass the OS check ( --ignore-os-check on). Once the update to 1.280 is complete, you can switch to 1.282 and are back on a supported OS version. To be honest, I'm not really familiar with the license model, but we were told that for RHEL "Versionlock" to e.g. v8.8 you also need EUS support, but you need your own RHEL license.

This would be associated with additional costs on the customer side.

On the other hand, Dynatrace also needs time to test the redhat version extensively after release. At this point we find ourselves in a kind of dilemma that cannot be easily solved.

If your seurity folks allows temporary waiver.

You can patch your RHEL without updating the Kernel related fixes or patches first.

Get your Dynatrace to the current latest version version 1.280.

Once the version 1.282 is out. Assuming Dynatrace already officially support RHEL 8.9

You can then upgrade both your Dynatrace and RHEL to their respective version in Jan.

Suryanto_1
Organizer

Rather Disappointing that the Managed server version 1.282 supports RHEL 8.9 . However the ActiveGate is still NOT!

I'm sorry that this leads to your inconvenience. We're working on this, and we expect to deliver this in March.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Suryanto_1
Organizer

Are we able to upgrade activegate with  --ignore-os-check ?

No, it's a different component.

Senior Product Manager,
Dynatrace Managed expert

Suryanto_1
Organizer

Does the AG installer do OS check to begin with? It doesnt appear to me the AG does that to begin with. That maybe explains why they dont have the --ignore-os-check 

Featured Posts