cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enhanced disk monitoring - DOUBLE criteria

jonhaugen
Contributor

Hi guys, 

I want to propose adding a second criteria for alerting based on full disks in Dynatrace. 

Could see this as an excellent option to add for both global configuration and at the host level. 

Right now the only criteria for anolomy detection is based on percentage, but it would be very beneficial

to add a MB available threshold as well, please see example below: 

100 GB disk

Threshold 1: 5 % 

Threshold 2: Below 500 GB available space

Monitor: DOUBLE 

Result: 

Alert if disk is below 5 % available space AND 500 GB
Effectively alert when there is 5 GB left 

20 TB disk: 

Threshold 1: 5 % 

Threshold 2: Below 500 GB available space

Monitor: DOUBLE 

Result:

Alert if disk is below 5 % available space AND 500 GB, which is a good threshold to handle larger disks. 
Effectively alert when there is 2,5 % available space, as 5 % of 20 TB is 1 TB - which a lot of free space. 

Thank you very much!

Intility - Dynatrace Professional
3 REPLIES 3

r_weber
DynaMight Champion
DynaMight Champion

Hi @jonhaugen ,

Generally Disk fill alerts could do a lot better than what is currently possible. Some time ago I posted an idea to have some intelligent baselining and prediction of disk fill rates.

I still believe this would be the more "Dynatrace AI Way" for alerting on disks. Searching the community I found there are quite some posts around this topic but product management has never replied to any of the suggestions nor have we seen improvements on it.

Maybe upvote and revive my Idea from above if this would also solve your needs?

Kr,

Reinhard

Certified Dynatrace Master, Dynatrace Partner - 360Performance.net

Thanks for the reply @r_weber. that was a very interesting post, it would certainly in many areas!
I believe also having a static threshold based on mbytes available + percentage would fulfill our needs where baselining would fall a bit short. Given the nature of many databases, grooming jobs and logging. As well as some of the largest file servers for instance. 

Intility - Dynatrace Professional

ssheldon
Participant

I came to suggest this very idea, glad to see someone else wants it too!

Featured Posts