cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error while installing Dynatrace oneAgent on Solaris

omichael
Participant

We are trying to install one Agent on Solaris 11 OS (64 bit) platform. It is used to host Oracle DB. We are interested in some host metrics..we did follow the steps to add the environment variables:-

DT_HOME=/opt/dynatrace/oneagent

export DT_HOME LD_PRELOAD_64=$DT_HOME/agent/lib64/liboneagentproc.so

export LD_PRELOAD_64

The setup exit after info: Using DT_HOME....

attached screenshot

25 REPLIES 25

Julius_Loman
DynaMight Legend
DynaMight Legend

Did you check the agent log files?

Does the agent platform match the host platform ?

Certified Dynatrace Master | Alanata a.s., Slovakia, Dynatrace Master Partner

omichael
Participant

the agent log file is empty... yes its 64 bit Solaris 11 platform

attached logs

Well, it seems you are not using the Solaris agent correctly. On Solaris systems, the OneAgent is available only as the PaaS agent. That means it is not a standalone application and will not run as a process in the OS and you don't actually "run the agent".

With PaaS agents you just need to export appropriate environment variables in the execution context of your monitored application (preferred) or run the application using the dynatrace-agent script.

Basically, the LD_PRELOAD variables are used to load the OneAgent library to the application.

See here:

https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/deploy-dynatrace/oneagent/solaris/installation/install-oneage...

Hello @Julius L.

First interaction with the Dynatrace Manged, therefore, please let me know the proper installation of the OneAgent on Solaris SPARC.

We simply extracted the OneAgent, then what are the next steps to "Monitor every Java and Apache HTTP servicess on the host" ?

Dynatrace-OneAgent-Solaris-sparc-1.157.210.zip extracted agent.

Regards,

Babar

On the Solaris install page, there is link to the help page: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/deploy-dynatrace/oneagent/solaris/installation/install-oneagent-on-solaris/

Did you check that out yet?

Hello @Dave M.

Yes. I had gone through with this page but unable to understand the proper procedures of the installation.

We download the OneAgent and after unzipped.

Solaris administrator run below script as root
by adding the below line in the dynatrace-agent64.sh

export DT_HOME=/opt/dynatrace/oneagent

Even though we are unable to see any connected agent.

Can you please guide further?

Regards,

Babar

Did you include all the lines and make sure they ran before your application started up?

Which set of instructions are you following?

This is from the "Monitoring every Java and Apache HTTP service in your execution context" section.

export DT_HOME
LD_PRELOAD_64=$DT_HOME/agent/lib64/liboneagentproc.so
export LD_PRELOAD_64
LD_PRELOAD=$DT_HOME/agent/lib/liboneagentproc.so
export LD_PRELOAD

Or you can use the dynatrace-agent64.sh or dynatrace-agent32.sh scripts to either export the variables or use it as wrapper to run your application.

Just be sure the environment variables are really used in the context of your application.

Hello @Julius L.

Have a look in the below screenshots, where we configured the environment and the output of that environment.

Did we miss something?

Regards,

Babar

Hello @Dave M.

Yes. We included to the below level and the purpose is to monitor "every Java and Apache HTTP service".

export DT_HOME
LD_PRELOAD_64=$DT_HOME/agent/lib64/liboneagentproc.so
export LD_PRELOAD_64

I just wanted to add one more information that those servers already have AppMon agents configured.

Can we use AppMon and OneAgent together, especially when we are not enabling deep monitoring?

Regards,

Babar

Best practice is to remove the AppMon instrumentation, even though, in theory the OneAgent technique should supersede it. I would try removing the AppMon instrumentation and make sure the process is "seeing" the LD_PRELOAD_64 environment variable. If that doesn't fix it, maybe someone with more Solaris experience can help here or you can open a support ticket.

Hello @Dave M.

Basically we are doing a POC and wanted to show the value of OneAgent without disturbing their existing setup.

In case removal of AppMon is mandatory then I am wondering about the Full Stack concept and manual instrumentation.

Regard,

Babar

It is best practice to remove the AppMon instrumentation when installing Dynatrace OneAgent instrumentation, so I think it would be your next step to troubleshoot the issue...or you could try a support case before doing that and maybe they will be able to help you fix it without modifying the AppMon instrumentation.

I am not sure what you mean about "Full Stack concept and manual instrumentation", but we do not offer Full Stack OneAgent install for Solaris, and it's my understanding that it is not on the road map to do that.

Hello @Dave M.

I brought in the support knowledge and they also said that we don't support AppMon and OneAgent together.

A single Dynatrace OneAgent monitors real user experience and all the technologies, services, and applications that run in your environment. Just install OneAgent. No configuration required.

In the above statement, promised for the no configuration. Can you please share with me a reference to support your point "we do not offer Full Stack OneAgent install for Solaris, and it's my understanding that it is not on the road map to do that."

So I can share with the customer.

Regards,

Babar

Hi @Babar Q.

Dave is 100% correct that the full-stack installation is not supported on Solaris and is not planned. Hence, there is no auto-injection and instrumentation of your applications requires certain manual steps to be made.

You can find reference on the following help page: https://www.dynatrace.com/support/help/shortlink/oneagent-support-matrix#operating-systems-supported-by-oneagent

Regards,
Tomasz

Hello @Tomasz G.

Thank you for sharing a desired information.

Please also let me know the support for s390x architecture, Linux on System Z ( Mainframe) because with the simple Linux OneAgent we received the message Error: Cannot determine
architecture or architecture not supported: <S390>

Regards,

Babar

Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups:

omichael@groupncs.mail.onmicrosoft.com

Subject: [Dynatrace Open Q&A] "Error while installing Dynatrace oneAgent on Solaris"

This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted.

The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 18 hours and 33 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time.

Subject: [Dynatrace Open Q&A] "Error while installing Dynatrace oneAgent on Solaris"

The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 19 hours and 53 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time.

The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 19 hours and 52 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time.

omichael
Participant

after injecting the environment variables in the to Oracle WebLogic startup script we are able to see the Solaris node on console !!

Great to hear it's finally working for you.

omichael
Participant

i got it working with starting my application with passing the environment variables & it was shown on the dynatrace webconsole

Hello @Orwin L.

Did you pass the environment variable to particularly?

What did you pass exactly?

Regards,

Babar

in startup weblogic.sh script & restarted weblogic instance

Featured Posts